First Central Candidate Forum Held

The Indian Mound Civic Association held a public candidate’s forum this evening, 3/2/10, at the Indian Mound Baptist Church.  Beginning at about 7:00 PM and lasting until after 9:00 PM, there were candidate statements followed by a question and answer period.

Each candidate running for Mayor, City Council, and Police Chief took 2 to 5 minutes to tell the gathering of some 100 Central residents why they should be elected.  After this process, the Civic Association asked about a dozen questions of the group and allowed candidates to answer in an open forum.  The Q & A period sometimes deteriorated into somewhat heated exchanges, but all in all the candidtaes behaved acceptably, but politically as is to be expected.  The recurring points of contention consistently were the City’s contract with CH2M Hill and the city’s Master Plan.

More forum’s are scheduled and the public is encouraged to attend.  Check out future forum announcements at CentralSpeaks.com.

1. dave

March 3, 2010 at 8:09 am

This post was done under the article announcing the forum. I thought it was an excellent post and have copied it here – Dave

Comment:
    I was able to attend tonight’s candidate forum that was held at the Indian Mound Baptist Church, and gained pretty good insight into the views of many of our local candidates.

Let me begin by explaining how this forum worked. Each candidate was asked to deliver a 3-5 minute speech of his or her views on why they should receive our vote to be elected to serve as leaders within our community. Because of the many candidates in attendance and the restricted amount of time that was available, a decision was made to ask preselected questions by whom I assume was the President of the Indian Mound Civic Association. The questions that were asked dealt mainly with circumstances that are/have affected the residents of this Indian Mound Subdivision.

In attendance:
    Mac Watts (Mayor), Jr. Shelton (Mayor), Louis DeJohn (Council), Aaron Moak (Council), Lucky Ross (Council), Ralph Washington(Council), Joan Lansing (Council), Tony Lobue(Council), Charles Lee Hinton (Council), Wayne Messina (Council), Mike Mannino (Council), Doug Browning (Police Chief), Wade Welborn (Police Chief), Michael Garner (Police Chief)

The topics discussed ranged from a variety of different issues from the development of the Master Plan, implementation of individual Council Districting, Permitting Fees, CH2M HILL (City Services), Infrastructure of roads and drainage, etc…

If nothing else, I saw a group of incumbents’ and candidates that are very passionate about their beliefs which were made evident by their many different and vocal (sometime heated) opinions.

Below I have listed the topics of discussions and the general opinion of each candidate-

Master Plan-

(For) Mac Watts, Louis Dejohn, Aaron Moak, Jr Shelton (but would like to revisit)
    (Against) Mike Mannino, Charles Lee Hinton
    (No Opinion Voiced) Joan Lansing, Lucky Ross, Ralph Washington, Wayne Messina, Tony Lobue

Implementation of Council districting-

(For) Charles Lee Hinton, Mike Mannino, Louis DeJohn (either way)
    (Against) Aaron Moak
    (No Opinion Voiced) Mac Watts, Jr Shelton, Joan Lansing, Ralph Washington, Wayne Messina, Tony Lobue, Lucky Ross

Permitting Fees (Lowering the fees’)-

(For) Jr Shelton, Wayne Messina, Mike Mannino, Tony Lobue, Aaron Moak, Ralph Washington, Louis DeJohn
    (Against) None
    (No Opinion Voiced) Mac Watts, Lucky Ross, Joan Lansing, Charles Lee Hinton

CH2M HILL (City Services)-

(For) Mac Watts, Aaron Moak, Louis DeJohn, Jr Shelton, Lucky Ross
    (Against) Mike Mannino, Wayne Messina
    (No Opinion Voiced) Joan Lansing, Ralph Washington, Tony Lobue, Charles Lee Hinton

Improvement of Infrastructure (Roads & Drainage)

(For) Mac Watts, Jr Shelton, Aaron Moak, Louis DeJohn, Joan Lansing, Wayne Messina, Mike Mannino
    (Against) None
    (No Opinion Voiced) Charles Lee Hinton, Tony Lobue, Ralph Washington, Lucky Ross

The development of low-income housing, apartment’s complexes, trailer parks and Government subsidized housing units-

(For) NONE
    (Against) Mac Watts, Jr Shelton, Mike Mannino, Aaron Moak
    (No Opinion Voiced) Louis DeJohn, Joan Lansing, Ralph Washington, Tony Lobue, Lucky Ross, Wayne Messina, Charles Lee Hinton

Please keep in mind that although candidates were listed under the (No Opinion Voiced) category, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are (For), (Against) or do not care- It simply means they didn’t comment on the issue because of time restraints…

Please utilize the information as a study guide towards your decision….Remember that there is two remaining debate forums left…Please utilize these events to decide on who you believe is the most qualified candidates’ to lead our community. Please educate yourself by visiting with each of these individuals so our city will continue to grow in the right direction. Don’t Forget to Vote!!!!!!

CJ

2. dave

March 3, 2010 at 8:11 am

CJ, I would like to discuss an idea with you. Please contact me at dave@CentralSpeaks.com. – Thanks – Dave

3. Just Brenda

March 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I find it odd- that most people running do not include their phone number in their BIO. Alot of people have alot of question and going to each and every meeting – well they just cant do- how would one find the phone number of all running member? Don’t they have a campaign office for question and support???? Or am I just missing it somewhere?

4. Jr Shelton

March 3, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Just Brenda- I publish my phone number -936-9687- in all of my ads.
    I would be happy to discuss any issue with you.

5. Just Brenda

March 3, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I would love every person running for office to answer 7 questions I have.

1- Are you in favor of a city life in Central or keeping things small allowing just a 7 mile drive in any direction for big city living?

2- Are you in favor of landscape vision of country road ( such as st franisville) or concret building lining thur our city?

3- Where would you like the business/city bulk to be located at?

4- How big will the wax road and sullivan area be allowed to grow?

5-How would you protect the subdivision of Wax Rd and Sullivan, so our children can continue to enjoy a safe neighborhood?

6- How would you protect the housevalue of wax road and sullivan subdivision, if that area is allowed to grow more? Already kids are roaming these neighborhood taking bike, bring in drugs and some just looking for a meal?

7- If the new school is just a bad design idea, costing 55 millions dollars and 85 arecs of farm land, but still does not house our 3600 student population problem,- still having to have 2-3 other location to house our student, would you use your status to try and go back to the design and rework these 3600 student in? When I asked them use 85 areas more effective, I was simple dismissed and basically told- its a done deal! Does a bad idea, that is so costly and still doesn’t house the 3600 student, have to be completed- Cause its a done deal- before they even break ground????

I would love to hear from every running person to answer these question. Or at least leave a number where I can speak with you about these matters, along with the best time to call.

A minor few have already answered these question, however the bulk of the people running have not.

6. dave

March 3, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Due to a high volume spam attack from overseas, and only until a fix is installed this weekend, all comments will require moderator approval before they appear on the post. We will check comments every hour or so, so please do post. Things should be back to normal before Monday.

7. Aaron Moak

March 3, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Just Brenda, I would love to talk with you on your 7 questions my phone number is 324-6008 Cell, 261-9650 Office. You are more than welcome to give me a call at anytime day or night.

On your 7 questions please see as follows.

A. I am in favor of bringing in the business and services that the citizens want and need in Central. I hear so many times I wish we had this or I wish we had that so I would not have to drive into Baton Rouge or Denham to get something. From a residential stand point we as a Council stand by the Country living in the City. We have worked to slow down the huge subdivision developments in Central through quality planning and zoning. Reducing the number of homes per acre, restricting apartments and multifamily dwellings. All these things are what the people wanted to protect Central from rapid growth and over use of what infrastructure we have right now.

2- Are you in favor of landscape vision of country road ( such as st francisville) or concrete building lining thur our city?

A. I am in favor of the landscape vision for our City. Can we keep every road in Central a two lane road NO, but we can keep our unique identity through designs of quality roads. In our planning we are trying to move to setbacks in construction so that we have the parking in the rear of our developments with landscaping in the front so you don’t just see a building with a parking lot all down the roads in Central.

3- Where would you like the business/city bulk to be located at?

A. If this is a heart of Central question, I will tell you I’m old fashioned in this answer but to me the heart is Sullivan and Hooper. I would love to see City services and businesses grow and flourish in this area. I would also like to see the high school return to its roots at this intersection.

4- How big will the wax road and Sullivan area be allowed to grow?

A. Truly not sure how big it will get, with wal-mart there (which I was not in favor of that location) and the strip center on the other side of Wax Road there is a lot there now. With that said all the developments there were designed and put in before we became a city. With the development across Sullivan Road where Canes is the developer is working with the City of Central to design it with the improvements I spoke about earlier. He has gone to great lengths to design everything in a new fashion for Central. From the architecture of the buildings to the parking and green space.

5- How would you protect the subdivision of Wax Rd and Sullivan, so our children can continue to enjoy a safe neighborhood?
    6- How would you protect the house value of wax road and Sullivan subdivision, if that area is allowed to grow more? Already kids are roaming these neighborhood taking bike, bring in drugs and some just looking for a meal?

A. If I may I would like to answer number 5 and the second half of 6 in this answer. If I am thinking of the correct subdivision I do believe you have a neighborhood watch program in place and a home owners association. If you do not the City will be more than happy to work with you to begin one or both programs. These problems you are referring to you as a subdivision residence and with the City can work with the Sheriff’s office to help curb these things by working together like we have done in Central Woods to help those residences. I would also be more than happy to get input and ideas from your subdivision on these issues.

B. On your home values question I believe with the plans we are working on for the City of Central through master planning and controlled growth we can maintain all our home values.

A. I will first have to say that I am not on the school board nor do I know every aspect of the school system. I will tell you this that in the first tax proposal they did have one large complex that was to house all the school system children, that tax proposal failed. With the new tax proposal they had in it for new schools to be built and that is what they are working on right now. On the Sullivan Road property they are building two schools and those schools should be built large enough to accommodate our current population in those schools now and plan for future growth.

As I stated earlier please feel free to give me a call for any further discussion you would like to have on this. I enjoy speaking with anyone on Central Issues.

Aaron Moak

Now I would like to apologise to everyone for all the typos and possible grammer errors. I never said I was the best typest in Central but wanted to answer the questions for Mrs. Brenda 🙂

8. FoxerX

May 15, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Sorry. Does somebody know how to define true Forex Expert Avisor from bad and a real Forex trading signal from fraudulent? big thanks