OFFICIAL ELECTION RESULTS

Thank you to all of the candidates who gave time, effort, and resources to run for office. It is a great thing to have so many people who are so passionate about our city and who want to see the best for Central. The following candidates have been elected to office:

MAYOR:

Mac Watts (with 52% of total vote)

CITY COUNCIL:

Louis Dejohn (12%)

Tony LoBue (14%)

Wayne Messina (12%)

Aaron Moak (11%)

Ralph Washington (12%)

Chief of Police

There will be a runoff between Doug Browning (47%) and Wade Welborn (43%)

THANK YOU to all of the Central citizens who got out and voted!

1. Citizen 2

March 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Congrats to the newly elected council members. I hope that you live up to the things that you’ve promised. Hopefully this election proves that come election time that no one is safe and that you will be held accountable.

2. Just Brenda

March 27, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Wow- What is this “the uncomfortable silent!!!” Check out wbrz.com nobody lost by alot. Congrats to everybody that won, you have your work cut out for you. What I would like to hear now from the elected member is “how can we help you?”

3. Kyle

March 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I agree. In most political elections, people will promise you anything to get elected, and then have a hard time delivering on some things for one reason or another when they realize that some things are easier said than done. Let’s all give our new council a chance to get to know each other, work together, and hopefully move our city forward in a positive direction. We can’t expect miracles from anyone right away. Let’s give them 4 years and then judge them.

We are still in a national recession and things are tough. Everyone is having to cut back and deal with it. I for one, believe our city leaders should be careful in how they spend money, and not just wastefully spend money on fulfilling campaign promises or making their neighbors happy with personal projects to get another vote in 4 years. Not that any elected council member plans to do that; I’m just stating a point. They should take the best interest of the city (both fiscally and prudently) as a whole in making their decisions.

Our current mayor and 3 out of 5 incumbents were re-elected. I think that falls in line with most elections around the country. Overall, I think that shows that most of our citizens agree with the progress of the city. In the last council election in Central back in 2006, two incumbent council members were replaced as well. I guess that shows that people do want some stability, yet still allow for new people with fresh ideas to get elected.

I think from this point on, we should all concentrate on the positives of our good city, and not continuing with the bashing or negatives. That doesn’t accomplish anything. I think we saw that in the election results. Out of the newer candidates running for office, Mr. Lobue and Mr. Messina ran positive clean campaigns; perhaps that is why they were elected. You never saw anything negative about the city or other people in their ads. Other newer candidates wanted to go on the attack, and it didn’t work for them. Most of the time, negative campaigning turns people off. I think staying positive and everyone working together will always be in the best interest of our city. Let’s try and keep it that way! God Bless!

4. Voter

March 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I would like to remind everyone Mike Mannino ran a positive and honest campaign. He never bashed anyone and backed up his views with facts. Central has really lost out on an excellent opportunity to have fair, honest and intelligent representation. The only problem is I don’t know which of those elected would’ve been ok to lose in order to give him a spot. Maybe next time.

5. Just Brenda

March 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Does anyone have the numbers of vote that were casted for each person running? I am just wondering how many people actually voted? and how close it actually was! Channel 2 post the actual number then on their website it only showed the percentage. For those who didn’t win, plan ahead- get some of your projects off the ground, even if you have to start your own organization! Now is not the time, to shut up… time to come together and put out. Since we are all for Central, no reason to sit down for the next 4 years, waiting till next election.

6. Jennifer Starns

March 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Congratulations to everyone that won your elections. My condolences go to those who lost. It was a very close election. To those of you who promised to be a public servant to the citizens of Central, whether you won or lost, step up to the plate and get involved. It’s always welcome and you might be surprised to see just how hard the people you always see and hear about really work and give of their time and money to make CENTRAL a better place for everyone.

I would also like to let all of the candidates know that Russell and I along with Louis & Alex DeJohn, Lucky & Juanita Ross, Aaron Moak, Johnny Anderson and Mike Mannino picked up a major portion of the political signs that were out, especially on the main highways. They have been sorted and stacked according to candidate and may be picked up at our home. The signs that candidates had placed “Thank You” stickers on were not removed at this time. The signs of Doug Browning and Wade Welborn were also left standing as these two candidates are in a run-off. Good Luck to both of you.

Citizens, if you have a sign in your yard, would you please pull it up and contact the candidate to pick it up. The election is over so let’s clear Central of political signs. Help keep Central beautiful. It’s just a small thing that you can do to help and THANK YOU in advance.

Jennifer Starns

7. Citizen 2

March 28, 2010 at 8:00 pm

the last numbers I had seen was around 8,000 votes cast for mayor.

8. ward

March 29, 2010 at 8:45 am

Thanks Mrs.Jenniffer, Mr.Russell, Mr.Louis & Ms.Alex DeJohn, Mr.Lucky & Mrs.Juanita Ross, Mr.Aaron Moak, Mr.Johnny Anderson and Mr.Mike Mannino for doing such an un-selfish act for the beauty of Central. I know this is just one of the smallest justers you all have done for Central. I want to say thanks for all you have done in the past, and what you will do in the future.

9. Jennifer Starns

March 29, 2010 at 10:07 am

Ward, It is our pleasure to do whatever we can to help our neighbors and our community. We love Central and all of the citizens here. We just like to do our part and help whoever we can. It’s just our way of saying thanks for the blessings that we receive.

God Bless,

Jennifer Starns

10. Annie

March 29, 2010 at 10:31 am

You can see the numbers on the Secretary of State website. You can also view the results by precint. http://electionresults.sos.louisiana.gov/weborb30/SOSElection/SOSElection.html

It was a refreshing change (from national elections) to have so many qualified candidates to choose from! To those who were elected, I say congratulations. To those who weren’t elected, I say continue to work hard for Central. We need you, too!

To both I say: I can only imagine how time-consuming and grueling campaigning is. So, rest a bit and then channel that energy into making Central even better. May God shine His face upon you all.

11. Kyle

March 29, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Wow. It sure is nice to see all positive statements on here for a change! Good job to all of those people for picking up all those campaign signs!

March 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm

Kyle,
    It was great working with everyone Sunday to cleanup but there was a much bigger message; the election is over and I believe everyone is ready to move forward. It was a great effort and everyone pitched in to make a very quick impact on the City. Great start for the next four years.

13. Just Brenda

March 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Mike- I noticed 4 of your signs a mile from sullivan on greenwell spring road (towards flannery) and one on flannery today- Just wanted you to know before you get hit with a hundred bucks fine this weekend.

14. Kyle

March 30, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Mike and Jennifer: I heard something today that was disturbing and with so many rumors going around, I want to know if it’s true. I heard that Charles Hinton called the sheriff on you for picking up campaign signs on Sunday and wanted to press charges. Is this true?

March 31, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thank you Brenda. Worked all day Sunday getting off the main arteries but still working to get the rest. Actually forgot about those so I will get them.