Business

Central Economic Developmemt Working to Market Central

While Central Schools are quickly becoming some of the best in the state, and people are building and buying homes in Central at a record pace, the Central Economic Development Foundation, (CEDF), is at work seeing that enough businesses are attracted to our city to support the growth.  With sales taxes as a key financial support for both our School System and our City, it is important that the people of Central be able to shop in Central.  As a part of its marketing effort, the CEDF sponsored the following article in the Baton Rouge Business Report’s “Business Resource & Market Factbook”.

Central – A City on the Move!

Central has become a suburb of choice for Baton Rouge workers, resulting in a construction boom of single family homes within subdivisions.  Central has increased its desirability for families with children by distinguishing itself as a separate jurisdiction, thereby consolidating the school system.

• 16% population increase between 1990 and 2008
  • 62% increase in average household income between 1990 and 2008
  • Higher than region and state in number of high school grads; comparable in number of college grads.

Our Future

• The City of Central is expected to grow at twice the rate of the Baton Rouge MSA from 2008 – 2020.
  • Households moving onto Central will be slightly more racially diverse and have significantly higher incomes than the existing population.
  • Central will have a greater percentage of children and senior citizens in coming years.
  • Central will increase its diversity of job types as the city becomes more cohesive with the Baton Rouge MSA economy.
  • Central will continue to build new housing units, particularly higher-priced single-family homes and luxury attached units.
  • Growth will initially be concentrated within the lower half of the city in conjunction with the roadway expansion along Joor, Sullivan and Hooper Roads.

We’re poised for additional growth.  Central may add more than 3,500 jobs by 2015.  There’s room for your industry: Restaurants – Health Care – Entertainment (movie theaters, arcades) – Real Estate – Education – Finance and Insurance – Retail Clothing & Accessories – Home Improvement – Manufacturing

1. Brockwell Bone

May 18, 2010 at 9:27 am

You can learn more about the CEDF at http://www.centraleconomicdevelopment.org.

2. cmay09

May 18, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I have a question: How much does this “beaurocracy” cost the city of Central? It seems to me that this is an attempt to control the businesses that are allowed in our area. We should not be sold as a product to more than likely, will be huge corporations like Wal-Mart, which do not care about the well-being of their employees.
    The best chance to build the City, is by letting true free market economics, based on human action, dictate what happens. Seems to me that this is a Keynesian plan to steer the Central economy. If this makes no sense to you, maybe you should study the works of Ludwig Von Mises, F.A. Hayek, or Murray Rothbard. They are all available at mises.org and will all tell you the same essential ideal, that the economy- national or local– is ours to control. It is by our decisions as consumers, as to which services are needed in our community. Not the decision of a board of individuals that probably have no stake in our lil’ city. I am not knocking our town you understand, but if we had a SOLID base of Local businesses, no matter what service they provide, will sustain us better than 10 huge corporations ever could. The true nature of small business to create local jobs is most of what made this nation great, so why would we not return to this idea? If we had local businesses and we did not nickel and dime them to death with “permits” and “licences” which are truly meant to stifle them, to make way for larger businesses to take over—wouldn’t we be better off? This really would be the ONLY chance for Central to emerge as an example to other cities in our area. We as a small town could break from the “status quo” and make a difference, but will we? Please research the works of Mises, Hayek and Rothbard and make an informed decision….

3. taxpayer

May 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm

cmay, as a consumer, what services do you feel are needed in our lil’ city? I have not studied the works of any of the folks you wrote about but it seems like the point is made in your description. I would like to see local businesses and Central is mostly comprised of them. I do not think that the permit fees and licenses are keeping local entrepreneurs from opening businesses. Our CEFD is to my knowledge comprised of volunteers that all live and have a stake in our lil’ city whose job is to “steer” the economy in the right direction (local or huge).

4. TimL

May 19, 2010 at 11:25 am

cmay09,

The CEFD is not a beaurocracy: It is a volunteer effort and is funded by donations – primarily from existing Central businesses. It costs the city (and therefore you – unless you donated) nothing. Yet, as you likely live in Central you will share in the benefits from their efforts as the city grows and the value of your property increases.

As an owner of a Central small business, I can assure you that my license fees are the same now as they were when my business was regulated by EBR. I am not aware of any business owner who is being, as you stated, “nickeled and dimed to death” by license fees. If you have information that can support that statement, please share it with us.

Tim Lazaroe
    RV Cams, Inc
    8889C Sullivan Rd

5. cmay09

May 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Taxpayer,
    I do not have any power over what businesses come to Central. The only power that I or anyone else should have in the stakes of any business is whether to patronize it or not. That is the whole idea of a free market, it requires no steering.

TimL,
    Maybe I should have clarified my position a bit more, it is not the fact that the permit and license fees themselves that nickel and dime us all to death, but added to all the other fees that we are used to paying. I will say that I do have an example of Central’s permit system at work. My wife and her now ex-friend started Central Hair Saloon about 4 years ago. There original location was off of Greenwell Springs next to Frog’s, last November they moved to the corner of Sullivan and Hooper across from the middle school. The changes of permit processes and inspections almost bordered on the point of ridiculous. There were so many days that my wife called me in tears in the month that took to prepare the new building for occupancy. They were rejected at least 3 or 4 times, every time for a different reason that was never stated in a previous inspection. Once they were finally allowed to open, they were nailed by the “sign ordinance”. They were open for three weeks before they were informed that this ordinance changed, yet they were allowed to open by getting occupancy. The sign they placed was the exact same size as the sign of the previous tenant, and they should have not been allowed occupancy of the building by inspectors if they were in violation of any ordinances. At that point, they were told that the sign must be removed or there would be a fine. The other girl decided to take it completely on herself to remove the sign, which caused a chain of events that led to my wife leaving the business. I have seen the downside of too many “regulations” personally, and I am not in favor of them. The business is still currently in operation to my knowledge, but hours have been cut back and I know it is scraping by to stay open.

6. cmay09

May 19, 2010 at 6:00 pm

Here is an article about free markets and their control: