School

Guidelines for Campaigning at School Sporting Events

Submitted by the Central Community School System

The Central Community School System has issued the following guidelines relative to campaigning activities at sporting events:

“Any candidate or their representatives will only be allowed to distribute campaign literature or hold up signs outside of the entrance gates of the sporting event.  The school system will not allow the distribution of materials within the areas in which fans are seated or the event is taking place.”

Thank you for your cooperation and assistance regarding this item.

Respectfully,

Michael W. Faulk

1. Mike Stephens

September 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

Great idea!! When we walk through the gate we all should be focused on the kids and CHS football not politics.

2. Captain Obvious

September 2, 2010 at 3:32 pm

It is about time. I hate nothing more than going to a football game with my family to only have politics thrown in my face.

September 2, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I do agree. With the highly political atmosphere in Central these days we need to set aside a few “safe sanctuaries”. I think church and sports is a good place to start.

3. justdumpfounded

September 2, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I agree dave. I really believe that even our schools should be sanctuaries for our children and the administration. A candidate want send his children to a school in our community but he will show up and set up a picture from a cell phone and then act like he is somebody. Please, stop all the lying and bull. I just don’t get all this wanting to be everyones best friend when in the past he wouldn’t even give a dime towards the schools, show up at one of their events, or support the faculty and staff members. Families of our players can’t even go to a mandatory meeting about their children, that he doesn’t show up trying to campaign and pull votes. His children don’t play sports at the high school, so why is he even there. And to think that he would even try to bring school officials into a campaign by staging photos, to have published in a local newspaper without their consent to publish, why to try to get votes? Dirty politics, that is what that is. Underhanded politics. Is that what we want from our children? That candidate knows who “he” is and it is a shame that he would stoop that low. Where have you been? Why are your children not in our schools? What gives you the right to say you want what is best for my children when you don’t believe in the education, morals, and values that I and so many others have and have brought our children up in. I have supported Central all my life, my children go to the schools here and they have the best education provided to them. The teachers in the elementary, middle and high school are top notch and they work their butts off for our children. Maybe you should have been here a long time ago and showed you cared. All you show me is that all of a sudden, you decided you wanted to be a part of something that you don’t believe in. That is a hypocrite, not someone who wants the best for my children’s future.

4. Captain Obvious

September 3, 2010 at 6:21 am

Just because someone doesn’t send their kids to Central Public Schools does not mean they can’t be on the School Board. If they live in Central, their tax dollars are going to fund the schools just the same as you and I. There is already a board member where both his kids did not go to the public schools in Central and both graduated from Central Private. Does that mean he should be excluded from the School Board? I think not. There is currently a lot of Central residents who still use private schools, but are they refunded their tax dollars that fund CCSC operations so they can offset their tuition cost? I didn’t think so.

What I am glad is that CCSC finally took a stance on this issue. The last couple years it has been annoying to go to Central games to only be harassed by Central Political candidates. Other stadiums that Central has played at in the last couple years already had this policy in place. I hope this is now the SOP and not just a one year thing.

5. Donna Dufour

September 5, 2010 at 11:20 am

How long ago did this sitting board member send his kids to Central Private? If it was under the EBR Regine I don’t blame him.

6. Captain Obvious

September 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Does it make a difference if a person is sending their kids to Central Private or St. Alphonsus currently and running for the school board? Why should that make a difference?

7. justdumpfounded

September 9, 2010 at 11:41 pm

The thing is that you can’t be on the board at Central Private unless you either have a student there, are a grandparent of a student, or you have someone that is employed there..I believe that changed a few years ago…You are welcome to research it and correct me if I am wrong. But that was their choice.

As far as St. Alphonsus, it is a feeder school into the High School as well as many others so the apples and oranges are beginning to make fruit salad.

I do believe that those parents are even restricted on where they can buy uniforms, but they chose to accept those conditions for their students to go there. Parents have that right to send their children where they want and pay for an education if they want, that is their choice.

Nothing has been said about who could or couldn’t run, that was put out there to confuse and upset the multitude only to divide Central on the issue….and make good headlines in local newspapers to sell more advertisements and not to mention stir up the proverbial ant bed….

The only question that is being asked is just why run for school board if you don’t believe in the school system or don’t want to be a part of it…..and you have verbally stated it.

If you don’t support something and you don’t believe in it then why do you want to represent it???

Common sense tells me there has to be another motive for running.

Maybe he wants to move up in the political life and he wants to use the school board and innocent families and their children to spring board him to success, or maybe he is doing it for a friend who is hoping to run for a political office in the future, so he can have political pull for him…

But the question still remains…When education is at the bottom of a candidates priorities in his campaign slogan and on all his signs (which means my children and their education is last on his mind), a candidate views as his least important thing in his life/priorities is the education of our community, the candidate doesn’t support or believe in the school system and has stated it publicly…..then WHY RUN?

Just putting the food out there for thought……