School

Kristenwood Catering and Reception

14025 Greenwell Springs Road Central, LA

1. Call to Order

2. Prayer

3. Pledge

4. Roll Call

5. To consider approval of the minutes of the August 23, 2010 Regular School Board Meeting.

6. To consider the Superintendent’s recommendation for administrative, instructional, and support staff positions. (Mr. Faulk)

7. To hear issues and concerns from a parent relative to the Drug Testing Policy. (Mr. Faulk)

8. To consider a report and take appropriate action relative to the Finance Committee Meeting held on August 30, 2010. (Mr. Guilbeau)

9. To consider a Resolution to adopt the 2010-2011 State Grants Budget, Fund 200 for the Central Community School System. (Mr. Faulk)

10. To consider a Resolution to adopt the 2010-2011 Federal Programs Budgets for Fund 300 Other Federal, Fund 400 Title Grants and Fund 500 IDEA, for the Central Community School System. (Mr. Faulk)

11. To consider a Resolution to adopt the 2010-2011 Debt Service Budgets for Fund 710 Sales Tax Bonds Debt Service and Fund 720 General Obligation Bonds Debt Service for the Central Community School System. (Mr. Faulk)

12. To consider a Resolution to adopt the 2010-2011 Capital Project Fund Budgets for Funds 910, 920, 930, 940, 950 and 960 for the Central Community School System. (Mr. Faulk)

13. To consider a revision to the School Calendar. (Mr. Faulk)

14. To consider for discussion comments made regarding not discovering discrepancies in the construction bid documents. (Mr. Starns)

15. To consider for discussion and review advertising policies of the school system and the amount paid for advertising and public relations issues. (Mr. Starns)

16. To consider a Resolution relative to Uninsured Motorists. (Mr. Faulk)

17. To consider the staff’s recommendation to adopt a Travel Procedures and Reimbursement Policy. (Mr. Faulk)

18. To consider and grant approval of Change Order No. 5 for the High School for the three School Renovation Project. (Mr. Bogan)

19. To consider and award a contract for electrical service for the new Middle and Intermediate Schools to DEMCO. (Mr. Bogan)

20. To consider the staff’s recommendation to award the contract for Restroom Additions and Improvements at the Wildcat Football Stadium. (Mr. Bogan)

21. Construction Coordinator’s Report

22. Superintendent’s Report

23. Legal Adviser’s Report

24. Announcements

25. Adjourn

Pursuant to the requirements of La. R.S. 42:7, matters not included on the agenda posted at least 24 hours prior to the meeting will not be considered unless the school board members present vote unanimously to add the item to the agenda.

1. Captain Obvious

September 13, 2010 at 7:56 am

Glad it was decided to wait until football season before bids were advertised and opened to upgrade the restrooms. This should have been done at the end of last football season and ready for the football season this year. Poor planning in my opinion.

The bathrooms at Wildcat Stadium are the worst among any school that Central plays. When you have two young kids, it is almost difficult to bring them to the games due to the unsanitary bathrooms with one and only toilet that doesn’t even flush. It is sick that I have to sit my kids on a pot full of you know what because it doesn’t flush.

It is also an embarrassment that Central does not provide any facilities to the visiting fans except port-o-potties. Central fans would complain everytime they traveled to watch the Wildcats play if they were forced to use a Port-o-potty. The concession stand at the back of the east end zone must have some type of sewer connection that a bathroom facility can be added their as well.

Port Allen, Scotlandville, Destrehan, St. Paul’s, Denham Springs, Walker, Olympia Stadium, Zachary, etc… all have better facilities.

2. Kyle

September 13, 2010 at 10:41 am

I called and asked about Item #15. Apparently, there will be discussion as to how much one of the local Central newspapers has been charging the school system the past few years to run ads and public notices. Apparently, the costs are very high.

3. Paul

September 13, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Glad they are discussing it but not sure what the problem is. Don’t they have the choice to not place the ad if the charge is too high? Doesn’t matter if the paper charges $1m per word, doesn’t mean they have to purchase it. If you feel that way, I have a 1991 Chevy Truck for sale – $150,000. Interested?

4. mike mannino

September 13, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Maybe they should charge for all the positive coverage they give the school system all year long. The whole paper this past week was about all teh good things the system is doing ! Looks like another effort to put down on CCN.

5. Kyle

September 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I think it should be handled like competitive advertising. Whoever can do it cheaper should get the advertising rights. If Paper A charges $1000, Paper B charges $500 (as an example only), and they reach the same circulation, then Paper B should be chosen if they are going to spend the taxpayers dollars properly. It would be same for a construction job. If contractor A said he could do the work for $5,000 and contractor B said he could do it for $4,000, then hopefully, they would choose contractor B.

6. Paul

September 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Absolutely agree Kyle. That’s how our free market system works. If Paper A doesn’t like it, then they have to be competitive with Paper B and lower their prices. Same with the contractors. So I guess the question then becomes, were we paying a higher price because CCN was the only paper in town for so long? At that point it becomes about availability and the responsibility is on the school system to determine whether they got value from what the paid. The paper has no responsibility here. They are under no obligation to provide a free service.

7. Captain Obvious

September 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm

In regards to advertising bids in the local paper sometimes means that it can be an attempt to get only local construction to submit bids. I am not sure if any of the advertisements have been placed with the advocate.

I worked with one firm in a neighboring parish that would only advertise projects in the local paper to give local contractors the advantage. Outside contractors would have to make more of an effort if they were interested.

8. Lady GaGa

September 14, 2010 at 12:33 am

Dave, what time on Thursday do we meet at Mr. Starns house to get the papers folded and ready for the postage machine?? I really want to help this week, last week I was busy filming you guys in action and thought I should get more involved. So be sure and let me know date and time so I can help you guy run the CCN out of Central. I mean, that is what your doing. And that’s okay with me cause his very LAST paper is going to BLOW THE ROOF OFF THIS TOWN!!! He’s going to put it ALL out there! Everything…. everything he knows and I can’t wait. So let me know how to help and let’s get this ball rolling! By the way, I think it’s awesome that Mr. Starns is your financial backer for the paper. Buy why all the secrecy, he’s in to all kinds of dealings, why doesn’t he come out as being the publisher? I think he should. Everybody in Central knows.

September 14, 2010 at 8:09 am

Lady GaGa,

First, I appreciate the offer. Here is how you can help. Be at the office (address on page 2 of the paper) as early as 04:15 AM and as late as 06:00 AM Thursday morning (we don’t actually know the arrival time until I call the plant at 03:00 Am and find out what time the truck left). It is a hot and sweaty job so dress cool and comfortably. I look forward to the help because up until now it has just been my wife and I, so a third set of hands would be a great help. It only takes about two hours, start to finish, to unload the truck, prepare the papers to be mailed, bag and label them, load them into my truck and take them to the post office. After that, we load the rest of the papers into my car and my wife’s car and she runs half the route dropping off papers and my daughter or I run the other half. We are usually done by noon so I’ll buy your lunch at Subway, which is our usual routine. Then, if you are like me, you can run off and work another 8 hours in your real job that pays the rent and buys the groceries.

I hope that my answer was informative (because it is true), dispelled the notion that ANYONE helps us with the paper (true again), and avoided any comment on the entirety of the rest of your post (because it is baseless, false and mean-spirited). My rule on this site is that you can’t make claims of fact without the evdience to back it up or your comments will be deleted. However, I will make an exception here because the only one you seek to tear down is me. I welcome additional posts on this subject if you DO care to actually support any of your claims that 1) the papers get delivered somewhere other than to my office 2) we fold the papers 3) I have or use a postage machine 4) You filmed the process 5) That anyone has given me any money other than in payment of an ad 6) That my family does not independently publish CentralSpeaks.com, or 7) that “everybody in Central knows” (cause “everybody” can’t possibly know that which just is not true).

Lastly, my office address, phone number and e-mail are printed on page two of the paper. If you have the courage to make your accusations without hiding behind a screen name I welcome your call, visit or e-mail. If you choose to continue posting here I will have to ask that any claim of fact you post be supported by your evidence.

9. Bebe

September 14, 2010 at 6:06 am

Kyle,

I’m just curious why only #15 interested you so much that you called about it? Are you a newspaper?? Which newspaper are you with Kyle??

And it doesn’t sound like competitive pricing is what is happening here. I mean, how is an honest business man gonna compete with free? And how can the other ‘honest’ paper afford to do so along with its other very high cost on top of just starting out?

Seems to me, that maybe someone is funding a war to sink a ship! I wonder who is doing the funding? and I wonder why they would want to sink a ship that reports all the news??

I’m not a fan of socialism, communism, tyranny or monopoly; but it seems that somebody is.

September 14, 2010 at 8:29 am

Bebe,

If you are going to insinuate that I am dishonest by questioning how an ‘honest’ paper can afford its operations, just come out and make the accusation, and, by the way, provide evidence, real evidence, heck ANY evidence to support your claim. Please see next post regarding “Free”.

September 14, 2010 at 8:38 am

Readers,

I did not intend to become a part of this advertising discussion, but that has happened so here is what you need to know. To publish a newspaper, you have to have news. In a town like Central, what the school system does, what awards kids win, what classes accomplish and what progress the system makes IS NEWS. Why should I publish that news free? Because I publish EVERYONE ELSE’S news free. Churches, Non-Profits, Businesses, the City, all of these get FREE news coverage. Should I not offer that same FREE coverage to our school system which is supported by our tax dollars? Please, someone, tell me why I should charge the Central Community School System to publish its news.

Now, if I can get enough of the people of Central interested in the news I print, I can convince business owners, with a profit motive, to PAY ME to promote their businesses in the form of advertising. Simple as that. Hope that explains why and how I can and will print the NEWS about the school system for FREE.

10. Captain Obvious

September 14, 2010 at 6:40 am

I have said it before and I will say it again that indictments will be issued one day for some of our city leaders. There is going to be a fall guy and that person better watch his or her back when the time comes because the big money backers are not going to be included.

11. Lady GaGa

September 14, 2010 at 7:01 am

There is nothing that will change my mind about “Kyle” being Dave himself. How pathetic.

September 14, 2010 at 8:14 am

Lady GaGa,

I’m not sure who Kyle is, but I DO know that you owe HIM an apology. You can say many things about someone in Central (especially if you are hiding behind a screen name), but to stoop so low as to accuse Kyle of being Dave Freneaux is just downright mean.

Kyle, I do apologize on behalf of CentralSpeaks.com that this comment section was used to tarnish your reputation.

12. Lady GaGa

September 14, 2010 at 8:13 am

LOL!

13. Bebe

September 14, 2010 at 11:06 am

No Dave, I was just wondering if you won the lottery or something. If so, please feel free to share!!

September 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Bebe,

I would never have offered this information had you and others not chosen to question my independence. However, since you asked me to share: Visit my 38 year old home, look at my modestly banged up 220,000 mile old suburban, sit in my 8′ x 10′ office, meet my wife who works for free (as do I since this is my second job), come out with the two of us at 4:30 AM on Thursdays and sweat with us as prepare 12,000 newspapers for distribution, come meet my daughter who is my only employee actually producing the paper who also works long hours for no additional pay, come to the office and visit with me most of Saturday and after noon on Sunday, and keep up with me during my 80+ hour work week and you will see how I do what I do. I am not looking for any sympathy as these are all by my choice. I am only asking that you consider that hard work and commitment often accomplishes more than throwing money at a project. No, no lottery winner here…since you asked.

14. Keith Kepper

September 14, 2010 at 12:22 pm

again the awesomeness of alias’s!! Lady Gaga, i mean did you pick that name cause your a guy with feminine tendencies or cause your just plain weird? And you have the nerve to call Dave pathetic?? Does the possibility that people would desire something other than CCN offend you?? Can you just not fathom that?? Does seeing a need and filling it remind you of …oh I don’t know …. something like the law of supply and demand?? I don’t wish the failure of a business on anyone, but I think good competition is how a capitalist society operates!!

btw, drop the alias and join the real world!! Oh and don’t laugh at Daves offer, take him up on it and then you can see first hand all the generous contributions he gets and all the help he has in operating this news paper!

15. Tim Lazaroe

September 14, 2010 at 1:35 pm

CCN is on the attack….. You’re obviously doing something right Dave.

16. Kyle

September 14, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Dave, first of all, I am real. I have family that teaches in the Central School system, so I am not giving my last name because some might retaliate. Lady GaGa is obviously a fake who is trying to stir up trouble, so it might be best to just ignore her or him or whoever it is.

As for the school board meeting last night, Mr. Starns stated how Central City News double-billed the school system for ads that ran in that paper. Mr. Kidwell (Finance manager at the school board) acknowledged that was true, and it wasn’t discovered until Mr. Starns made a public records request and reviewed the invoices. Hey Woody, you double-billed the school system a while back and never said anything? You took the school system’s money (i.e. taxpayer’s money) and kept quiet???!!!??

It was also stated that Central City News charged the school system $3000 for a full page ad, while a half page ad only costs $1200? Something is definitely wrong there! Almost $45,000 has been paid to the Central City News for ads by the school board. This is ridiculous!

A school board ad that ran in the Advocate costs about $170. The same ad in Central City News costs $1300 according to invoices.

Come on folks, some people want to jump on the city and say permit fees are a little higher than in Baton Rouge. Look at the ad fees Woody is charging…$170 to the Advocate vs. $1300 to CCN. Why doesn’t someone cry fowl about our tax dollars being spent this way!!! CCN double charging the school system?? CCN charging $3000 for a full page ad and only $1200 for a half-page?

Perhaps there should be some investigating of this! I also heard Woody wasn’t there last night, but usually attends all school board meetings. HMMMM…suspicions arise!!!

17. Captain Obvious

September 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

No one is twisting the arm of the school board to use CCN to advertise anything. I am rather embarrassed that a school board with so many educated individuals have not questioned this before now.

If CCSS has been double charged then CCN needs to refund the school board money. What I have to wonder is why Mr. Starns is now just looking into this? Life was great when he and his family were plastered on the CCN on a weekly basis. No one had a problem with CCN when it was being run as, “what did the selected few in Central do this week” kind of paper.

18. Ray

September 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Dave I do appreciate your paper and website and like being able to occasionally post comments. I think you should consider requiring posters use there first and last names. This could possibly curtail baseless accusations and rantings, and make the writer less bold and more thoughtful, and accountable to the accused. My name is Ray Ashford.

19. mike mannino

September 15, 2010 at 7:41 am

Just so you know KYLE, Woody was at a right to life event as the guest speaker. Guess that really make him a nutcase in your book ?

20. Kyle

September 15, 2010 at 11:23 am

LOL, Mike. He was already that in my book…lol. I remember all the anti-abortion protests that he helped lead around baton rouge in the 80s and 90s which cost the city of baton rouge thousands of dollars of overtime for police officers. He sure likes to cost the taxpayers money wherever he goes.

21. mike mannino

September 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Let me guess. Thats not a cause worth fighting for in your book? Like to know what kind of people I’m dealing with.

22. Donna Dufour

September 15, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Dave, I have a question in response to “In a town like Central, what the school system does, what awards kids win, what classes accomplish and what progress the system makes IS NEWS.”CCN prints plenty on this in their stories. What about the ads the school board ran about the tax they were trying to pass? Would this also have been printed for free? Not asking to generate a debate.

September 15, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Absolutely correct use of an advertising budget, to get a message out to the voters that they would be voting to improve on an already good system. Great decision for the School System to advertise.

23. Donna Dufour

September 15, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Is that a yes, you would charge?

September 15, 2010 at 8:21 pm

No one can look back a year and claim they know what they would have done, but here are my thoughts. My first thought is that if ANY organization asked me to run full page color ads six or eight weeks in a row I would have to charge something. How much I would charge is the question. Might have been inclined to do it at cost and look at it as facilitating the effort to build schools in a community that I call home and that has educated my children. Might have given it away for a dollar as a “charitable donation” (I gave away a ton of my time and resources in the school tax campaign coorfinating the e-mail and neighborhood walk campaigns and serving on the steering committee through many meetings.) Then again, I might have charged and made a profit, but probably not at list rates. Bottom line is, charging for the full page ads the CCSS requested, even at list rates, is not wrong, and anyone publishing a newspaper has a right to set their own prices and has no obligation to discount those prices. Does that answer the question?

24. Donna Dufour

September 15, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I guess I won’t get a straight answer because you might or might not charge. You obviously save the right to charge or not charge for when that time comes. That’s fair. I guess you kinda answered it. The question was would that type of ad be included in the free stuff? I’m hearing not necessarily. I suppose you are leaving your options open.

September 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Like I said, wouldn’t know till someone asked. I think the important answer for you is that I see an ad campaign for a tax election as being very different than routinely occurring news. No problem in my book with the school board paying for that, but they should certainly negotiate for the best deal they can get.

September 15, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Honest and fair answer.

September 15, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Thanks

26. Retaliationscaredcuzilivencentral

September 16, 2010 at 9:39 am

As per Captain Obvious: “No one had a problem with CCN when it was being run as, “what did the selected few in Central do this week” kind of paper.”
    We thought we were the only ones getting tired of seeing the same ole pictures of the same ole people, sickening!

27. CentralResident

September 16, 2010 at 11:34 am

I have a novel thought for anyone that got ‘tired of seeing the same ole pictures of the same ole people’ – get off your rear end and put your efforts into something positive for our community! There is a good reason you kept seeing ‘the same ole pictures of the same ole people’ – THOSE PEOPLE PUT THEMSELVES OUT THERE WORKING HARD FOR THE CENTRAL COMMUNITY. Where were the rest of you, the ones that sling mud all the time and criticize ‘the same ole people’? It’s easy to sit back and complain all the time, it’s much harder to work tirelessly, all the while having mud slung at you and your family! No, I am not ‘one of the same ole people’ but I have sense enough to appreciate the hard work that went into forming our school system and city. Is everything perfect? No, but with lots of hard work and cooperation I believe the good people of Central will make this a great place to live and raise a family. I hope you will do your part to make Central the greatest city in the state!!!

28. Retaliationscaredcuzilivencentral

September 16, 2010 at 11:55 am

CentralResident: We have been working right beside them. Side-by-side at these events for our schools, community ect… That is how we know and can make such comments and why it is soooo sickening!

29. CentralResident

September 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Then I’ll tell you: I appreciate your hard work, too. I just cannot fathom why the wonderful people that I know reside in Central cannot work together and make our community the greatest city in this state. I mean this sincerely, it makes me sad when all the bickering holds us back from being the very best that we can be. I pray it all ends soon and we can get back to building up our community, instead of tearing each other down.

30. Retaliationscaredcuzilivencentral

September 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Agreed.

September 17, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Kyle,
    To your earlier post. I have dug into this and this item was not about how much the school board spends with CCN. The intent was to find out why free advertising that was offered by CS was not being used. I dont see Mr. Starnes or Dave on here defending themselves so I will. From what I have seen so far, the CCN ad cost was a side issue, the question mainly dealt with advertising that Dave offered and received no response on. So apologies are in order to those including myself that thought this was mainly about CCN. Sure it did evolve to that but no reflection on CCN as the School Board approved and bought the ads, Sorry Guys.