School

Drug Testing Reinstated by Central School Board

In a unanimous vote of the Central Community School Board, drug testing via urinalysis has been reinstated.  Two weeks ago, amidst controversy over the use of hair sampling as a testing method, the Board temporarily suspended all drug testing.  Having researched the issue, legal counsel advised that drug testing via hair sampling is not prohibited under state law.  The Board acted further by requiring that the written drug testing policy be reviewed and carefully updated to specifically authorize hair sampling before that method is used again in Central's public schools.  It is expected that the Board will have the revised policy to consider at its next regular meeting in two weeks.

1. Captain Obvious

September 28, 2010 at 9:35 am

I did not vote for the school system to have all this push for drug testing. This should be left up to the parent. This is why our country is in such a nanny state of mind. Someone else will always take care of my responsibilities. I am extremely disappointed that my tax dollars are funding this.

2. Captain Obvious

September 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm

The advocate has runned an article today on this same issue. Someone put a comment that makes perfect sense. Will the faculty, coaches and administration going to have to participate in the drug testing? They should be held accountable for their actions as well as the students. I personally don’t want a teacher who could possibly be taking drugs teaching my children in the classroom.

So when does Ms. Browning and Mr. Faulk step up and be the first to donate a piece of their hair/urine to be tested?

3. Major Concerns

September 28, 2010 at 12:55 pm

CPT. O,
    I take it you do not deal with kids all day. Try sitting in a class room that contains these kids that we are concered about. Teachers have taken on the role as parents more than they need to. Sure these actvities takes place out side of the school, but the affects are still there when they come back to school. Sorry they are doing your job and makeing you so upset.

4. Captain Obvious

September 28, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Like I said as a tax payer I hate that my tax dollars are being thrown down the drain. Didn’t the recent drug test statistics show out of all the students tested that only 4 tested positive. I just don’t see the huge drug problem which is causing so many problems in the classroom that you speak of.

5. Paul

September 28, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Of course there is a drug problem. Drugs are always a problem. But how much longer are we going to allow our government to infringe on our personal liberties in the name of public safety? How much more personal responsibility are we going to abdicate to the government? When is this train to socialism finally going to stop?

6. mike mannino

September 29, 2010 at 10:21 am

I’m torn on this one. I think we all agree that we have a drug problem and need to do something about it. EBR is rapidly declining because of all these kids exposed to drugs daily. Problem with this approach, its targeting the kids least likely to use drugs. Your athletes, band members, anyone that participates in non core activities are generally not the ones that need to be tested. I know the law does not allow for testing the general student population but I would bet you would be astounded at how many would fail if you could. Even with the policy of testing those that drive to school, some are parking at WalMart, at the dead ends by the school or other ways to get out of having to be tested. What does that tell you about them ? Its a problem and we need to deal with it with all tools that are deemed lawful. These kids have a much higher potential of becoming deadbeat adults.

7. Captain Obvious

September 29, 2010 at 10:39 am

You mention that athletes, band members, anyone that participate in non core activities should be test. Well that is what has been done and before the testing was suspended only 4 tested positive. If there is such a drug problem that everyone keeps mentioning, then CCSS is targeting the wrong group of students. If they continue to test just the target group, then once again we are just throwing tax dollar money down the drain.

I am totally against the drug test program but if the CCSS must feel it is necessary to drug test then everyone should be tested and not just students. It should be students, school board members, faculty and administration. If we want to continue further than all public workers who accept checks that are paid by tax dollars should be required to adhere to a drug test as well.

8. Captain Obvious

September 29, 2010 at 10:51 am

I misread your post in regards that we are testing the wrong group. I agree with you in regards to that. Sorry about the confusion.

9. mike mannino

September 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Captain,
    I think anyone receiving a check or benefits from the government should be tested just like those of us in the private sector. It just floors me that legislators continue to fight drug testing for people on welfare and food stamps. Anybody ever think that the reason many of them dont work is because they are on drugs ? I see way too many able body adults in the area where I work, day in day out, walking the streets, hanging on corners or otherwise not employeed, not doing a dadgum thing.Who do you think is supporting them ? You and I and most us us have to comply with some kind of drug testing program while they dont. And before anyone gets on me, if this doesnt apply to you, then its not intended to say ALL.

10. Paul

September 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Here’s the rub Capt O – they cannot legally test the entire student body without parental consent so they can only test those people they have some leverage over. Which means students who participate in activities that are considered priviliges, such as sports or driving to school. This allows them to have leverage to force those students’ parents to consent to the testing or deny their child that particular privilige. So if you want your child to drive to school, then you MUST consent to the drug testing or they will not issue a parking pass. That is why they are targeting the group they are targeting. Because they can withold a privilige if they refuse.

11. Captain Obvious

September 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Paul,

I unerstand that your point but the problem is that all I hear is there is a drug problem; however, the kids that are eligible to be test only 4 have tested positive before the drug testing was suspended. This is nothing but a waste of the hard working Central residents tax dollars that could be used to give teachers raises.

12. justdumpfounded

September 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Excuse me, but do you really think that these students are being targeted when they and their parents have a choice to participate or not, if so then you must think that the LHSAA tagets every student athlete in the state. How about you say that their face and see if they don’t laugh in yours. It seems you missed something in the fact that this is an issue in all school systems and our system wants to take a stand against illegal drug use and protect the “public safety” of the students that it can hurt. It is the illegal use of narcotics on our campuses that sets “everyone” as a target, not the school system. Put blame where it belongs. A target is a term used in a hunting situation and those that sell and use drugs hunt our children down everyday.

13. Captain Obvious

September 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

If you read my previous post the problem I have is that all “On the front line” people keep saying there is a major drug issue so testing is necessary. If you go clearly by the true facts of the data that was released that ONLY 4, THAT IS RIGHT ONLY 4 tested positive. Please tell me where the testing is actually cathching all the so called students that are doing drugs. You can’t becuase the group that is being tested are not the ones doing the drugs it must be the group kids that you say should ride the bus under your post in another article discussion.

If the school systems wants to protect the “public safety” than let’s test all the school employees as well.

14. Paul

September 29, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Justdump

I dont have a problem saying what I feel to anyone’s face. And I doubt they would laugh in mine. You know, gun control proponents make that same “public safety” argument. Are you willing to give up your guns for “public safety”?

I think you are missing the point as well. I agree with Capt O, if you are going to test, then test everyone. The problem is they can’t legally test everyone. So they test only a small portion of the population and didn’t find what they expected. So unless they can figure a way to legally test everyone, it is a waste of money.

There are other things they can do to address drugs on campus. Bring the dogs around more often and when they catch someone with them, deal with that individual harshly. Educate teachers on recognizing signs and symptoms of drug use. Testing a small group of the student body isn’t going to address a drug problem, perceived or actual.

15. CentralResident

September 29, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I can’t speak for anyone else, but if one of those 4 students were my child and could, at this point in his/her life, get help to get off drugs I’d say it was worth testing all those students. Capt. O – if one of the 4 were YOUR child, what would you think?

September 29, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Does anybody know if they have the right to test any student for cause ?

17. Captain Obvious

September 29, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Paul,

I agree with your last paragraph. The should bring the dogs around the schools more often. Don’t just sniff the lockers but sniff around the parking lots as well. If they smell something in the parking lot, get a warrant to search the cars.

CentralResident, I like to think that I am paying attention to my kids close enough to where I would suspect if my kids where doing drugs. Also, as a responsible parent if I had any doubt, I would purchase my own drug testing kit and do it myself. Parents need to stop being their kids friends and be thier parents.

18. CentralResident

September 30, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Capt. O – Agree parents need to stop being their kids’ friends. From your previous posts, I am under the impression you have ‘younger’ children. I think you’re looking at this as if your kids would never be impacted, so you think it’s just costing $$$ that would not benefit you or your kids. At this time, you don’t have anything to worry about. Wait until they turn 15 yrs. old or so and get back to the rest of us. I’m not trying to be rude, but it doesn’t sound like you have a clue what parents go through when their kids are teenagers. My two kids are out of college now and managed to not get involved in drugs, which I am very thankful for. Imagine, for a minute, that one of the 4 students that tested positive was one of your kids’ classmates and maybe is trying to get your kid to do drugs, too. Now that bad influence is gone, I’d say that’s $$$ well spent! Also – I am under the impression that the drug testing has not been completed, correct me if I’m wrong, so there may be more positive drug tests coming.

19. Phantom

September 30, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Great Job School Board

Lets punish these kids for the same experimentations we did when we were kids. No matter how you try and control a kids life they are still going to be kids at the end of the day.

I wonder if we could drug test some of the parents and administration who run this city. I bet you will find more then one perhaps even several.

I believe that tax payers of this community are being forced to teach kids responsibility. I think that it is the parents job to be concerned weather his or her child takes drugs. It is a math teachers job to teach math, a football coaches job to coach football, and a principles job to run a school. This drug testing thing is another way of wasting money that could go to the wonderful teachers that tolerate my child on a daily basis.

I think that if a child wants to participate in and extra curricular activity. There parents should be required to pay for this drug test. Why make all tax payers pay for these tests when not all taxpayers have children who participate in these events.

On a positive note I am glad we have moved on from previous debates. It is a pleasure to see real discussion other than who disagrees with who.