2 Taxes Up for Vote Saturday

From the LA Secretary of State website

PW CAPITAL AREA TRANSIT SYSTEM 2.5 MILLS- BOARD OF “CATS”- 12 YRS

This would raise the property taxes of EBR residents for 12 years.  The money will go to fund the Capital Area Transit System.

AMITE RIVER BASIN DRAIN/WATER 2.65 MILLS- BOC- 12 YEARS

This would be a tax renewal, not a new tax, to fund continued work on this canal.

Voters will choose a “Yes” or “No” vote for each of these taxes.

1. Phantom

October 2, 2010 at 8:27 am

Here are two great taxes that won’t get my vote

I do believe in supporting public transportation. Only problem with CATS is the city has been bailing out this company for a long time. I guarantee you if this tax wins the taxpayers will be voting again and again to increase it every 12 years.

I can’t believe they are asking for more money for this Amite River Drainage project. This government approved the money for this thing back in the 80’s. Now we are in 2010 and still asking for more money.

I tell you what, if FEMA can guarantee me that I will never have to pay flood insurance again. I will gladly vote for the increase to finish this project.

I LOVE OUR GOVERNMENTS QUICK FIX TO EVERY FINANCIAL PROBLEM IN OUR COUNTRY. MORE TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It won’t be long before you go to work and not have to even worry about receiving a pay check. Now you get a pay check and the government takes it all after you get it.

2. Donna Dufour

October 2, 2010 at 4:01 pm

If what I hear is true about the Comite Diversion Canal Project thsi is a joke. I understand this tax was for 10 years, work was done the first five and nothing the last five (while they continued to collect the tax). Also heard they lost Federal and State grants (funding). Now they need a renewal for the public to finish paying. Where is the money from the last five years. Can anybody tell me more? Is this true?

3. Ryan

October 3, 2010 at 9:55 pm

These negative comments are charmingly naive. Have you looked at a flood insurance map for Central? The Comite Diversion Canal will raise property values, promote economic development and help protect many in our community from substantial flooding (think 1983–100 year flood). That’s not bad for a tax that will cost some people as little as $7.00 a year and most people less than $100.00 annually.

It’s easy to be discouraged at the pace of construction and the inefficiency of state/federal funding. However, let’s not shoot ourselves in the foot. The way forward is not to ignore flood control in our own community while leaving a project uncompleted after already spending 97 million. Voters did the right thing in approving this.

4. Phantom

October 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm

I am not real sure how this diversion canal can raise property values. Since property values are determined by appraisers and the flood plan is controlled by FEMA. Think about where we live in South Louisiana. You can get up to 10 inches rain in a very short amount of time. There is no drainage system that you can design to move a large amount of water in a short amount of time. If this canal ever gets finished and your house floods the next time we have a heavy down pour and FEMA has to pay a claim on your house. I promise you they will raise the price of your flood insurance and want give two flips about how much the diversion canal lowered the flood plain.

I want you to write down this date and time we have had this discussion. So in 10 more years when this project is still incomplete “everyone will say that all it is going to take is another 100 million to finish.” That is the problem with a project of the magnitude it is a bottomless pit. The best flood control is to control the things you can control yourself. Move to the Mountains

When mother nature decided’s to make a decision do you think all the things that man has constructed will stop her. Do I have to remind you of Katrina. Now who sound naive.

5. Donna Dufour

October 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Ryan, not sure if you were referring to me. I was stating what I heard and wanted input as to whether or not it is true. Nothing you said answered anything I said.

6. Captain Obvious

October 4, 2010 at 8:38 am

If the public could see what environmental hoops that must be jumped through to build any type of project funded by governmental money and how much it delays the process, they would want every politician fired on the spot. Between EPA, Corps of Engineers, etc…, projects that would have taken 3-4 years to design and be constructed 30+ years ago now take the same time just to be designed due to all the environmental requirements not to mention the studies to make sure certain groups are not being taken advantage of. Monies spent on all these studies and designs could be used on smaller projects instead of being wasted.

If any project has federal money in it then the project will just drag on forever. If you don’t believe me, find any civil engineer that does work for DOTD. This is the whole reason for the delay of the Central Throughway. EBR thought it could fund the whole project with just City/Parish tax dollars. Once EBR knew they had way underbudgeted the project they had to seek state and federal dollars. What happened was that EBR didn’t do any of the required studies that are required when federal dollars are used (when only local monies are used you don’t have to do all the offical studies). So they bascially had to start over from scratch and go back through the process not to mention have DOTD and FHWA involved to get them involved in the review process.

Wake up people this is your tax dollars at work.