School

Central School System Legislative Audit Now Online

The Central Community School System recently underwent a legislative audit.  The audit in its entirety is now available to the public online.  View the audit by CLICKING HERE.

1. JustThinking

October 4, 2010 at 3:53 pm

After reading the legislative audit that came out today, let me take a guess at the School Board response next week. “Well we’ve made some mistakes, but we’ve corrected those issues so it’s time to move on.” In the meantime $450,00.00 later to one vendor without public bids, who approves or how is this type of spending taking place? Public records request, where is Mike Mannino when you need him?

2. kyle

October 4, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I agree. Isn’t that what they did with the last audit from Special Education? The school board president just swept it under the rug and wouldn’t allow any discussion on it. The vice-president stated that it was “all in the past” and to just move on and forget about it. Seriously, this is who we have running our school system? Violate the law by hundreds of thousands of dollars and just sweep it under the rug? Charges need to be filed!!!!

3. JustThinking

October 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Presented the Special Education Audit as a report with no public comment. Only comment from the board is that the issues were addressed. No public comment from the board about how the issues were corrected or who was at the bottom of the problems. I’m sure this is how they will try to present this audit.

4. resident

October 5, 2010 at 7:34 am

Why didn’t the School Board Attorney, Sheri Morris, point out the bid law?

October 5, 2010 at 7:43 am

The School Board Attorney is retained to give legal advice whenever she is given an issue to review, or when she is asked to be in attendance at a meeting. In this case there would be no reason for the Attorney to even be aware of the specific items being purchased by the school system. That would be the general responsibility of the Board as the ones approving policy budgets, and the more specific responsibility of the School System employees charged with implementing those policies and authorizing those purchases. There should be sufficient safeguards in place to ensure awareness of state bid laws and to require those authorizing the purchases to follow those laws.

While we may look to an attorney to defend us for a traffic violation, the attorney would have to have been driving before we could say she was responsible for the ticket.

5. Captain Obvious

October 5, 2010 at 8:28 am

I do believe it is time for the school board to explain why a workshop has not been given by the school board attorney to teach the school board members and staff about Louisiana bid law. For this not to be done in the last 3 years is inexcusable.

This is another example of the school board tossing around tax payers money like it is their own.

I wish this would have came out before the elections. It is time for some people to step down as this is another blackeye on the Central communnity. This was only an audit and don’t be surprised when a full blown investigation is done and it should be done.

6. concerned

October 5, 2010 at 10:41 am

Well if she did tell them it would be like the last meeting where she told them under the law you had to hear public comments and them She was told by the Pres. she was being overruled and lets keep moving…

It is a total shame that as we look at this it almost looks like we are being keep in the dark and when I see that it usualy means there hideing something much bigger Keep digging it will all pass into the light.

7. CentralResident

October 5, 2010 at 11:45 am

This is totally outragous! What makes this worse is the President of the school board will not even allow public comments about the wrongdoings in the past and will probably try to cover this up, too. People, these school board members work for YOU! They don’t work for the school system, what are they trying to hide? These are just more state laws that have been broken, just because Mrs. Browning won’t allow public discussion does not mean there is no wrongdoing. I hope the newly elected school board members will help get the school system going in the right direction before it gets sued.

8. kyle

October 5, 2010 at 11:46 am

Our superintendent has been superintendent in other parishes and states before accepting this job here. He should be very aware of the public bid law after being a superintendent for many years. This seems to be a blatant case of corruption! If we have a superintendent who doesn’t know the public bid law after knowing the laws about everything else, then maybe it is time to have a full blown investigation! Our school board president should be held responsible as well since her signature is on the checks!

9. mike mannino

October 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

State bid laws are about as basic as it comes. You will find that any large corporation, all US, State, local government, require bids for purchases above a certain threshold or if its a sole source supplier, documentation that supports that. I find it hard to believe that the people that made these decisions, were not aware of these requirements. Which gets to another issue. If its willful, then its a criminal offense. Or an alternate supplier has the ability to file civil suit because they were not given the opportunity to bid. This is a much more serious issue than we realize. The bid laws are there to make sure tax money is spent efficiently and no favoritism or political payoffs occur through contracting. They knew enough to bid for other work, how could they say this case was an oversight ?

10. kyle

October 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Captain Obvious: I agree with you; however, at the last school board meeting, their attorney Sheri Morris tried to give the school board president advice, but Ms. Browning “overruled” her and refused to listen to take her advice. When you have a board president and vice-president who are the superintendent’s “YES” persons, there is no one watching over things. Mr. Starns and Mr. Guilbeau seemed to be trying to watch over things, but now they will be gone, so who will be watching for things now? THE PUBLIC. That’s who. Show up at school board meetings to see what’s going on! I can’t make every meeting, but my wife tries to.

11. Captain Obvious

October 5, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Kyle,

I didn’t go to the last meeting but did hear about the “overruling”. I hope that the two newly elected school board members will stay on top of things to make sure that this type of behavior by other members of the school board is not acceptable. Like I said earlier I feel that some people need to step down.

12. A Heart For Central

October 5, 2010 at 9:39 pm

@ Kyle and Captain. I hope your right but from what I have heard the two new school board members were asked to run by the group of school board members that you are talking about.I am afraid Central just voted into office two more pupets for the school board. Yes, Russell (who so many complained about) and Marty were our last hope. This is going to be a rough 4 years. BTW the two new school board members and the returning school board members(most of them) all had their election night party together at the same location ??????? Hhhmmmm I’m just saying.

13. Greg

October 6, 2010 at 4:55 am

Alot of people are saying, well maybe Mr Faulk and the new school system just made a mistake because of it being a new school system. I would love for channel 9, channel 2 or maybe the attorney general’s office interview Marty Guilbeau on this subject. I believe this if exactly why Marty is no longer on with the school board anymore because he has been telling Mr Faulk, along with Sharon Browning, that they were breaking the law. I believe one example of Marty standing up to the school board is when Mr Guilbeau confronted Mr Faulk about doing business with an old college buddy without putting it out for bid. That college buddy of Mr Faulk’s confronted Mr Guilbeau at a school board meeting to express his displeasure on Mr Guilbeau trying to do the correct and lawful thing. I can’t believe that everyone in Central is not reading between the lines with this school board. I would love to see someone investigate our staff member running our program of Federal funds, should be interesting as well.

14. mike mannino

October 6, 2010 at 7:46 am

Greg,
    I think if this is really investigated, it will be worse than it appears. I have known about this for a while, there is much more to it. As I said, oversight is one thing but its not reasonable to say that people who have been dealing with bid laws their entire carrer, would not know they were doing something wrong. Therein lies the distinction. Willfull vs. oversight are 2 different things and take you down 2 different paths. Correction of the root cause of the problem vs a criminal investigation. This is serious business folks.

15. ward

October 6, 2010 at 9:54 am

So why has none of this been in Central City News?

16. kyle

October 6, 2010 at 11:30 am

I think it is going to be discussed at the school board meeting on Monday. Everyone should attend.

17. Tim Lazaroe

October 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Ward said: “So why has none of this been in Central City News?”

I don’t know, but I wonder if it is related to the excessive and unnecessary advertising business that the board gave to CCN…… Coincidence?