From the Mayor’s Desk- January 13, 2011

CENTRAL CONTINUES TO BE A CITY ON THE MOVE

(Published: Baton Rouge Business Report, December 28, 2010)

The city has enjoyed a 4% increase in sales tax collections since 2009 and total net assets have increased by approximately $3.2 million, despite the nation’s economic downturn.  With a current population of 28,000, Central is projected to have 45,000 residents by the year 2020, according to a feasibility study.

The community of Central is very excited about its prospects for 2011.  With continued growth in new home construction and new businesses locating here, Central officials have been focusing on responsible “smart growth” through the development of a master plan.  This plan will guide the city’s development of future roads, schools, homes and businesses.  Furthermore, 3500 new jobs are anticipated by the year 2015.

Central is a young, vibrant community, oriented toward the future.  A continued sales tax leakage to surrounding communities has brought a demand for retail businesses, entertainment businesses and restaurants.

With a great school system currently ranked fifth in the state, a 15 minute commute to downtown Baton Rouge and an eight minute commute to the Metro Airport, Central continues to grow and prosper.  With a strong vision for the future, Central will continue to be on the move.

We invite businesses and individuals to visit Central to see for themselves the many opportunities that exist here.

GETTING TO KNOW YOUR MAYOR:

1)  What desires have been living in me most of my life?

To be thought of as an honest, dependable, Christian man. To be trusted.

2)  What motivates me to be productive?

As Mayor, I want the community, of which I have been a lifelong resident, to prosper and grow in a sustainable manner that maintains the community atmosphere we are accustomed to.

3)  What keeps me going forward when I’m worn out?

My upbringing has conditioned me to always be mentally and physically astute.  To never give up on a project and NEVER QUIT!

4)  What makes me refuse to quit when I meet with resistance or opposition?

The challenge of seeing that which I am involved with through to the end. Especially if that situation is in the best interest of the majority of others.

5)  What do I do that doesn’t seem like work?

I have always enjoyed going to work in whatever capacity I was or am presently in.  I love a challenge and every job I have had has been in public service in some capacity affording me both challenges and rewards daily.

6)   What do I do that brings positive response and support from others?

I approach each situation with a clear mind.  I will consider each situation on criterion set forth by law and my answer will reflect that.

7)   What makes me feel good about being who I am?

I am comfortable with who I am and what I have accomplished in my life.  Being a Christian man, has given me the instructions for a life well lived.

8)   What would I do without being paid, if I could afford to?

I served as your Mayor for 16 months for no pay.  I didn’t know if I could afford it, but I was giving something back to a community that has been good to both me and my family.

9)  What am I willing to sacrifice to accomplish it?

My time and my energy.

10)  What am I doing that I would be proud to offer for God’s Approval?

I am so very proud of my family; family first.  A family man and a Godly man are one in the same and reflect on all aspects of his life.

EAST BATON ROUGE PARISH REPUBLICAN ROUNDTABLE

Featuring:  John Kennedy, Treasurer of the State of Louisiana

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 12:00 Noon- Sammy’s Grill in Central- 14800 Wax Road

If you would be interested in attending, please go to: EBRPGOP@aol.com and advise your intent to attend.  Guests are being asked to be seated by 12:10 in order to be served and the program to commence.  Cost of luncheon is $20.00

2010 STREET REHABILITATION PROGRAM

The Street Rehab program for 2010 has successfully been completed.  Thanks go to Barber Brothers Construction and PEC Engineering for a job well done.

MIKE ANDERSON UPDATE

I spoke with Mr. Anderson, Saturday, January 8, 2011.  At this time, they are working with their architectural firm to complete plans for their new restaurant here in Central.  As of this time, Mike Anderson’s has not applied for plan reviews or permit fees, but will do so as soon as building plans are complete.

I am looking forward to a great New Year in Central.  We have wonderful projects on going here and all are to enhance our way of life!  God Bless Central!

Mac Watts

Mayor

1. Donna Dufour

January 19, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Just curious. Does Mayor Watts write this or does he have someone do it for him?

January 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Point?

2. Debbie

January 20, 2011 at 8:00 am

Donna
    The Mayor writes every one of the From The Mayor’s Desk, and I volunteer to type them every two weeks.
    Also because of the unsubstantiated accusations that have been made against him recently, he had to develop a file of all of his hand written notes and finished articles. Does this answer your question?

3. Donna Dufour

January 20, 2011 at 8:24 am

Don’t read anything into this Dave, just wanted to know. Yes Debbie it does, thanks.

January 20, 2011 at 8:41 am

Fair enough Donna. Sorry if I sounded suspicious. I have just witnessed so much baiting and attacking recently that I am trying to head it off. It is not good for Central and I am not fond of the concept of it happening on this site, and it does, and I have to allow most of it if I am to legitimately claim I support free speech.

4. Donna Dufour

January 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

Thanks Dave. But I do want to point out without sounding accusing that Debbie’s answer was more info than I asked for. Ex.: “Also because of the unsubstantiated accusations that have been made against him recently, he had to develop a file of all of his hand written notes and finished articles”. I feel that was to get in, as my mother would call it, one last dig. I asked a simple question. That extra info could lead to more. Sometimes the less said the better.

January 20, 2011 at 10:44 am

Donna,

Donna and Debbie,
      I am sure much of the possible over-reaction you will see comes from a year’s worth of everyone feeling like they are under attack. We are all tending to not just answer the question, but also anticipate the motive and position ourselves to be able to defend ourselves for the next round of attack. This is on both sides. We need to all do three things: 1) Cut our fellow Central Citizen some slack and understand the “bunker” mentaility that has been brought into our lives and overlook any possible over-reaction. 2) Try not to over-react ourselves. 3) Identify the source of the divisiveness which brought this to Central over the past year and seek to eliminate it. If it lies within us, we need personal change. If it lies within others, we need to seek, in private and not on public forums, to admonish our neighbor to consider a change. If it is an outside influence, we need to stop that influence. Everyone gets to decide for themselves what the problem is and then do their part to solve it. – Just my opinion. – Dave

5. Debbie

January 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

Amazing…….

6. Tim Lazaroe

January 20, 2011 at 10:52 am

Donna, why would you think that he might not be the author?

7. Donna Dufour

January 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

Agreed Dave. Tim it doesn’t matter why. I asked and was answered. Satisfied with the answer so I’m moving on.

8. Tim Lazaroe

January 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm

It is obvious that this was just another opportunity to stir the pot Donna…… By merely posting this question you caused some to wonder if the mayor is incapable of writing such a letter. Why else would you have done it?

You know his background. Would you HONESTLY believe that he might have to get someone else to write a letter for him?

9. Debbie

January 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm

On a lighter note Tim, everytime I type this for the Mayor, I learn something new about all of the Exciting, good things that are happening in our new city.
    Mayor Watts started this bi-weekly article to keep the citizens of Central abreast of new activities as they develope. My honor to volunteer time to the city.

10. Donna Dufour

January 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

You’re stirring the pot Tim. Again I asked a question, got my answer and I am satisfied. I obviously had a reason for asking, if I wanted to start something I would’ve told you why. But I didn’t and I won’t. When are you going to stop? You are really getting obsessed with all the hoopla.

11. Tim Lazaroe

January 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Donna, We all know that your post was not in seek of answer but rather to create a statement. Again, do you HONESTLY believe that this well-educated and accomplished man would need for someone else to write a letter for him?

I’m not obsessed Donna…… just fed up.

12. Donna Dufour

January 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Need to? No. Would let someone? Yes. Drop it Tim I am not doing this with you. For the final time I asked a question, got an answer. I am not challenging that answer. Why are you challenging me?