Police/Fire

Arrests Made in Central on Burglary in Progress

Submitted by David Barrow, Assistant to the Mayor’s Office

Quick response by the EBR Sheriffs Office led to the arrest of two white male suspects today around 12:30 pm on W. Brookside Drive in Biltmore subdivision on a burglary in progress call.  Deputies in marked and unmarked units responded with the first unit responding on scene within 1 minute of the call and a second unit responding in under 2 minutes.  After a brief chase that included deputies going into Beaver Bayou, the suspects were arrested.  Good Work!!!

1. mike mannino

February 25, 2011 at 12:29 am

Thanks for the updates. I think it is very important that we know in real time about crime out here. I find myself watching closely in areas where I hear about these things happening. EBRSO cant do it all, it takes alert citizens to report this.

2. Paul

February 25, 2011 at 11:42 am

EBRSO can’t do it all and it still amazes me that crime prevention and response is a low priority to our city leaders.

3. Kyle

February 25, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Don’t see how response is a low priority. The deputies were there in under a minute! Also, isn’t our police department run by our police chief and not by our city leaders? I believe the city leaders just gave the police chief a lot more money a few council meetings ago to run his department better. Pau, I guess you should be asking the chief where he’s spending that money if you’re not satisfied. I’m completely satisfied with the good work that the sheriffs office does in Central. I see plenty of them every day.

4. mike mannino

February 25, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Kyle,
    In fairness, no single law enforcment agency can do any good without help from the citizens. This was called in by an alert resident and EBRSO quickly responded. However, I have made 911 calls to them at my dads business and its taken 20-30 minutes for them to get there.

As far as Central Police, you might want to start asking questions. Some of the things that Doug needs done to start legally enforcing are held up waiting on our city attorney. He needs a process in place to get this to distict court and its not moving. So its in our “City Leaders” hands right now.

5. Paul

March 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Kyle – I’m a little late following this up so hope you still get this – I say it’s a low priority because the City should be working on getting our own police department. Yes, the Sheriff’s office is doing okay now, but they are completely but for a city our size to not have full-time law enforcement is completely perplexing. EBRSO is not full time, contrary to what some say. They have to split their coverage of Central with the NE part of the parish. If you are satisfied with the coverage we have now, just imagine the coverage we could have if properly policed!

6. Paul

March 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm

The above should say the Sheriff’s Office is completely overworked – guess I type too fast lol

7. Dirk

March 7, 2011 at 11:53 am

My dad’s truck got hit last night in Biltmore Subdivison behind Walmart. He lives on Jenson Ave and they stole the drivers side tail light off of his truck. Did not cut the wires, unplugged it and left the clips for the light in the bed. Our thieves are becoming more respect… Just posting it everywhere so people will know… It was reported to the Sheriffs Office this morning…