Community

House Fire Results in Fatality

By  | 

    The Central Fire Department responded to an 11:44 PM call Tuesday night for a house fire at 3527 Ocala, outside of Central, in Baton Rouge.  A 61 year old male was found in the home but died shortly after being transported to Baton Rouge General Hospital.  The fire started in the garage.  The home had three smoke detectors in place but none of the smoke detectors had batteries in them.  While the non-functioning smoke detectors may not be linked to the fatality, in a telephone interview Wednesday Fire Chief Bill Porche said this incident very much emphasizes the need to have working smoke detectors properly placed in every home.  Smoke detector batteries should be changed out twice each year for maximum safety.  One "rule of thumb" is to replace the batteries each time you set your clocks forward or back for daylight savings time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *