School

School Board Approves Revision to Drug Testing Policy

The Central Community School System, by unanimous vote of the School Board Tuesday night, has a newly revised drug testing policy.  Drug testing shall be conducted on all students in grades 6-12 wishing to participate in extra-curricular activities.  In addition, any parent or guardian of any student may voluntarily have their student participate in the drug testing program.  The initial testing will be by hair analysis.  The Drug Testing Policy can be seen at www.CentralCSS.org under School Board under Policies.  The School Board had considered the inclusion of Breathalyzer testing, but opted to delay consideration of this testing method pending further research.

1. Not a sheep

May 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Central…the state frontrunner of socialism, lazy parents, and police state action.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

— C. S. Lewis

2. Another Central resident

May 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Who do I send my bills too at the CCSS since they want to parent my kids for me?

Heading towards a “Gattica” society.

3. Alton R Ashford

May 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I think this C.S. Lewis quote is also applicable.

“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.

I personally like this quote;(unknown)

“Freedom is a package deal; with it comes responsibilities and consequences.”

4. Alton R Ashford

May 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Resident, the CCSB can’t test a child without written consent from the parent. Even if the student requests to be tested.

5. Another Central resident

May 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm

So why doesn’t mommy and daddy step up and do the testing themselves instead of having taxpayer foot the bill. Mommy and daddy doesn’t want to be the bad guy because they want to be best friends with their kids instead of being mommy and daddy. Another way to turn over their responsibility of being parents to the school system.

That portion should have never been included in the policy. Very disappointed with our school board in regards to this.

6. Alton R Ashford

May 25, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Mommy and Daddy are taxpayers. Mommy and Daddy will have to meet with administration. Mommy and Daddy will have to pay for counseling. Mommy and Daddy will pay for re-tests. That is if they desire for their child to continue participation.

BTW AC Res, care to share what you would do if your child tested positive on a test you administered.

7. Because I Care

May 25, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I commend Alton Ashford! He made very good points in all three of his posts above!

8. resident

May 26, 2011 at 8:16 am

I don’t have a problem with them testing my child. If my child wants to participate in extra curricular activities, there are rules she must abide by, whether I like them or NOT! If you don’t want your kid to be drug tested, don’t let them participate in sports…simple as that. I have to be drug tested to get a JOB. I don’t have a problem with that either. That’s what’s wrong with alot of kids these days, they don’t want to follow the rules cause they don’t like them.

9. Citizen

May 26, 2011 at 12:11 pm

> “The initial testing will be by hair analysis.”

Besides the fact that this test costs 4 times as much as a urine test, the standard length of hair tested is 1.5 inches. This means the Central School Board is charging taxpayers & punishing students if they test positive during “initial testing” in August & September (meaning the student’s “drug use” – even one-time use – could have happened in June or July when they are not subject to the draconian law of the school system).

This is a heinous abuse of power, enacted upon an extremely low-risk student population. According to Bob Wales there was NO established drug problem at CHS when they decided to implement this program. Supposedly, they want to “prevent” the mere possibility of a problem occurring, yet instead of putting that money into drug education programs, they pour it into testing & punitive measures.

As the parent of successful honor students, who never cause trouble & have great relationships with their teachers, I RESENT that my tax dollars are being used to fund such activities.

10. Not a sheep

May 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Pre employment drug screening is a voluntary action. It cannot be equated to this cockamamey scheme. Forcing children that want to be in the key club, or play baseball to prove their innocence is NOT the same thing.

The socialist witch hunters (read: schoolboard) banked on ignorance and blind allegiance such as this from its citizens. Remember, in our community, we WRITE the rules which we are to follow. I am ashamed, and embarrassed that this has happened in Central. This is deplorable.

11. Another Central resident

May 27, 2011 at 7:39 am

Teen pregnancy is a big issue. When are we going to start forcing all females elgible for drug testing to start submitting to weekly pregnancy testing as well.

From the last go around of testing around 180 students only 5 tested positive. Four refused so the school system considered them guilty and included in their percentage of students on drugs. Then a couple were in rehab. So around 5%-7% are considered drug heads. If the next go round proves to be the same then I want someone to give me numbers that show that Central School system has a drug problem. To date, I have not seen the first data that proves that over 25%-50% of the student population is on drugs.

Life in Central; guilty until you prove your innocence.

12. kyle

May 27, 2011 at 8:13 am

My question is why did the school system keep this low-key and not advertised well? If you look at their last agenda, there was nothing mentioned about this. It was buried under some report from some committee. Seems to me that the prior school board was more open, but this new school board sure seems to keep some things secret. I read where people are talking about “transparency” with the city, well how about “transparency” with the school board?

13. Not a sheep

May 27, 2011 at 9:13 am

The illusion of transparency. Right here in Central. Aren’t you proud? They want to test everyone, but are only allowed to test people that volunteer. It is a trap. Since public education is compulsory, and not voluntary, they cannot test everyone, as that would be a civil rights violation. By aiming to test only those that “volunteer” to participate in activities, they can fly it under the Constitution. They’re following a heinous, very controversial precedent set a few years ago in Oklahoma, where another freedom-bashing municipality did the same thing.

Finding loopholes in the laws that protect our freedom, and using untruth and fear for the furtherance of an agenda? Right in our own back yard, by the elected officials of this community.

“A society that will trade a little liberty for a little order will lose both, and deserve neither.” – Thomas Jefferson

“They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

14. Tami

May 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm

What company is doing the testing? I would also like to know if that testing process was put out for bid? Why hair? I believe even companies as large as ExxonMobil still use urine testing. I think the kids that participate in extra curricular activities or the kids less likely to do drugs. It is the kids that should be participating but or not that or most likely, so what about them? Do these hair test pick up something that urine will not, such as performance enhancing drugs? My information says no but hair can detect drugs over a longer period of time. Let’s say a child has a prescription and fails based on the medication they are correctly prescribed. Does the drug testing company have a neutral contact that will investigate that before reporting to the school on a positive test?