School

Central School System Employee Arrested

The EBRSO has released the following statement:  "An East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff's Office deputy, Warrant Division, received a Fugitive Warrant (from the Inspector General's Office) for the arrest of David Mclaughlin, for Filing False Public Records.  On July 6th, 2011, at 0830 hours, a deputy met with Mclaughlin at his place of Employment (Central School Board) and placed him under arrest. He was transported to Parish Prison, where he was booked accordingly."

Mr. McLaughlin is the Technology Coordinator for the Central Community School System.  Reached for comment, Superintendent Faulk stated that "in accordance with the CCSS Policies and Procedures the employee was placed on administrative leave with pay pending resolution of this matter."

1. Maria L.

July 7, 2011 at 8:02 am

I saw this on the Ch. 9 news last night. This was related to $1.2 million dollars of contracts with MIS Technology, according to Ch. 9. This was for computers and computer service, etc throughout the school system. This was over a 4-year period where bid proposals were faked. How can this happen with only 1 person? Ch. 9 said the investigation is ongoing and more people could be involved. Someone else in the school system had to approve these bids? Didn’t some of this go before the school board? Seems to me that more people are to blame.

2. Another Central resident

July 7, 2011 at 8:25 am

It is time for the CCSS Superintendent to go. You can’t hide behind we are a new school system and these things happen. If he executed the contract, he knew it should have went out for bid. The IT guy is being made out to be the fall guy. I hope he squeals like a pig and help get rid of some of the corruptness in our school system. Another black eye for Central in the eyes of the parish.

3. Central Resident

July 7, 2011 at 11:18 am

I find Mr. Faulk’s comments disturbing. “The nearly $1million purchases still made their way into the schools, so it’s not a matter of losing the school system funds”. Does he not understand the bid process at all? The school system most likely did not receive the lowest price for the items purchased. In these times of tight budgets, the school system obviously did lose much-needed funds. Just ask the teachers who are not getting a raise and are paying more for their insurance. Any funds saved by properly using the bid process could certainly been used towards our teachers.

4. Mike Stephens

July 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

There were 2 former board members(Guilbeau,Starns) that tried numerous times to bring this and several other similar matters to the boards attention. They were branded as troublemakers. This is just one example of problems that were brought up and Browning and Gardner (Board Pres and Vice Pres)simply ignored as political or troublemakers. Exceptions made for some to retire before the 3 years in the new school system, change orders last summer, teachers being threatened to be fired for trying to get the needed resources to do their jobs. Read the audit from over a year ago, it will talk about many areas that were brought up by these 2 troublemakers. I spoke to all of the board members including the 2 candidates/newly elected members about many of the same issues and there was very little interest shown.
    Now this same board will soon be voting on conpensation for board members. This board does NOT deserve to be paid!!!

5. Another Central resident

July 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Base on your comments Mike then the Superintendent does not deserve to keep his job as well. Just another day in Central keepin it real!!!

July 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Im going to have to side with Mike on this, much of this has been brought out and the lack of action and subsequent frustration led to Mr Guilbeau deciding not to run again. Now I assumed that since there was no criminal charges filed on any of this, maybe it wasnt as big a deal as I was lead to believe. Obviously, I was wrong and Mr Guilbeau was right in bringing these issues forward. What concerns me now is how much of the many other items he brought up in meetings may need to be looked at further ?

7. Maria L.

July 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm

And this school board wants to get paid after letting this get past them without wanting to talk about it?

8. Erica

July 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Everyone keeps talking about all the money that went to MIS Technology. People need to do their research and find out who this company is and what it does. I found this from the Zachary School Board Minutes site from 2006:
    AMEND MIS TECHNOLOGY CONTRACT

Mrs. Coleman moved to amend MIS Technology Contract from $8000 to $10,000 per month effective 10/27/06 to cover the cost of additional technical work and Mr. Benda seconded the motion.

9. John Green

July 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This disclosure appears to vindicate and exonerate Mr. Russell Starns and Mr. Marty Guilbeau from careless accuations. Mr. Starns was also vindicated by the results of the City Hall inquisition recently conducted by alocal media outlet in that, no facts surfaced worth paper and ink or the reader’s time.
    It has been said, “Facts are stubborn, they will not go away.” Unfortunately neither do the self serving critics.

July 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Mr Green I agree with the first part but I dispute the second for many reasons, some I wont go into here. One thing that did surface in the “Local Media Inquisition” is 1 tiny piece of paper that resulted in disclosing that we were severly overpaying CH2 and paid them 800K upfront money that was unneccessary. So despite what many of you think, “wasting” the cities time saved us about 3.5m over the next 5 years. ANd BTW, the Local media didnt do this. I DID !!! As far as self serving, I defy you to find ANY self serving reason for this request.

July 9, 2011 at 7:10 am

We have a national economic climate driving prices for services down. We now had multiple companies willing and able to bid on privatization of municipal services, again driving prices down. When Central first sought a company to provide municipal services we had no proven ability to pay, no track record in what services would actually be required, no true measure of permit volume and no equipment with which to provide our own services. Lastly, we are fortunate that a non-profit company with no ultimate responsibility to provide profits to shareholders now exists and came in significantly lower than the other three bidders.
      All of these factors led to a significant reduction in Central’s cost to privatize municipal services. Those are the reasons we will save significant money over the next five years, and I believe the figure is closer to $2.5 million than $3.5 million, but I don’t have the bids with me at present.
      We have already been over the magic piece of paper you refer to and we have clearly shown that it was not an analysis of actual costs to provide municipal services and was not even a product of the Transition District’s work. It was a theoretical brainstorming worksheet produced in preliminary meetings as a group of people launched the process of investigating the financial viability of becoming a city.
      I agree with you in part, the local media was not the driving force behind rebidding city services. In my opinion, the media can take no more credit for that than you can. All of the economic and business factors listed earlier in this post are credible and reasonable explanations of how the cost of municipal services was reduced. You shouting “I DID IT” does not mean you did.
      Dave Freneaux
      262-3730

11. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 8:23 am

Dave, your last sentence is being considered for moderation. Thank you for your consideration. LOL

12. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 11:10 am

Though the process brought some division within the city, and the savings wasn’t nearly what was projected( 1 to 1.5 mill per yr), Mr Mannino certainly deserves some credit for the $500,000 a year the city will be saving with the new city services contract. He endured as much criticism as he issued and made himself available to anyone who cared to question his beliefs.

July 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

As I stated, the reason (not the credit) for the savings, in my opinion, are:
      1) Economic downturn making companies be more competitive for work.
      2) The growing popularity of privatization, leading to more bidders.
      3) Central is no longer a startup entity, meaning we now have a proven ability to pay our bills and a better understanding of the scope of work.
      4) A non-profit with no need to pay shareholders bid below the other three bidders. In fact, it is approximately that difference that makes up almost all of the savings in this contract.

As to “credit” for this, or any issue, I am not sure why anyone needs it. I guess if we are to give credit we can point to the selection committee for choosing IBTS, the City Services Committee (of which Mike and 20 othert citizens were members) for the research and the contract, and Mayor Watts for initiating the process. “Credit” for something is a useful political tool for an election, but it is not needed to have the process successful. Also, if anyone wants to go about the business of claiming credit for successes, they need to also accept responsibility for failures and damge caused. Do we really want to be in the business of claiming victories and blaming failures? That seems likely to add to division.

13. Maria L.

July 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

This topic is about the school board. Let’s get back on topic. I hope everyone attends the school board meeting on Monday night to protest the pay for board members.

July 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Whatever Dave and I wasnt taking credit BTW. I was taking responsibility since Mr Greene seemed to be blaming Central City News and I hate for my friend Woody to take the heat. I dont take credit either becuase the effort was a relentless push to bid this work out that was done by the good people in Central who smelled a rat. That would be bold of me to singuarly take credit for something that no one person could have done.

July 9, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I believe we agree on some of this. If I took your “I DID!” too literally, I apologize. I did not see anything in Mr. Greene’s post that referred to City Services, only to the School Board, so I hope you can see that it appears that you were the one wanting to make this about City Services. I agree that many good people joined in an effort to get the best possible cotract for municipal services, and they seem to have done a great job.

As to “smelling a rat”, you and I are going to have to disagree. I have been a business owner all of my adult life. When I sign a two year deal on a cell phone contract, then 20 months into it I see a better deal, I just have to finish my contract out before I can switch, That does not make my present cell phone carrier a dirty rat…I made a deal and they gave me a free cell phone for doing so. No one made me sign the contract.

15. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Maria, the school board compensation isn’t under this topic. BTW, is it ok with you to attend if you support board compensation!

16. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Dave, in my opinion, without Mike’s perseverance, I believe that the contract with CH2MHILL would have been renewed for another term. Which would not have been a bad thing. The records controversies caused the city to get out of a comfort zone that was growing with the former contractor.

July 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Alton,
      Everyone gets to have an opinion, and we can disagree. However, ask yourself this: How many people, including Mike, went to the Mayor after the election and prior to the records requests and discussed with the Mayor the concept of putting the City Services contract out for bids. I know I did, and I know what I suggested be done. I am a big believer in working first through the system, and seeking to change or throw out the system only if it fails to function. Perhaps you should ask Mr. Mannino whether he went to the Mayor and asked him to put the contract out for bids. If he and others did not, I would suggest that the toll that the records controversies took on this City was extremely high faced with a rational alternative approach that was within everyone’s grasp and was not, on its face, divisive.

17. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Fair enough Dave.

July 9, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Dave I just dont know why you wont admit that you can be wrong sometimes. Mr Ashfords perception of teh City Services situation happens to aligh with what many people think. And YES I ddi talk to the Mayor and told him he could cut the legs out from under me by annoucing this was going to be bid. I was told he just couldnt do that at the time. Im going to assume constant pressure changed his stance. And Mr Greene opened this up to the discussion of City Services when he mentioned the Public Records requested attributed to Woody which I am solely responsible for. And it gave me a solid basis to back up my claims that CH2 was hosing us. Whether you look at it from the perspective of we signed it so just be quiet changes nothing as far as the fact that 800K start-up costs and over 500K a year more than we eventually will pay demonstrates they were not a company that could be trusted. I dont blame our officials, never have because this was all new. I have blamed them for continuing to defend to the end and then celebrating their great accomplishment that would have never happened if it was their choice. But thats just me, average Joe Citizen that demands acountabilty !!!!

July 9, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Mike, you turned the discussion from School Board, Starns and Guilbeau, to City Services. I am glad you went to the Mayor with the issue. Do I understand that the conclusion of your meeting was that announcing rebidding the contract over a year before it was set to renew was too early? Not a bad call if so. There is an appropriate time for everything.
      I know CH2 upsets you, and similarly it upsets me to see people complain about a deal they made. To me, a deal is a deal. Negotiate if you can, but understand you made the deal.

19. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Maria have you considered that the annual 2.75% MFP increase has been frozen for the last three years. Maybe your ire should be directed at the Senate Finance Committee, Gov Jindal, and Paul Pastorek since they saw fit to award over 18 million dollars for private school vouchers and the recovery school district this year. They have also shifted the financial burdens on to local districts for private school busing, retirement cost increases, and board certification stipends.

July 9, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Ray Im afraid that going to be the pattern as its going to tricle down from the Federal cuts. We also benefitted in the state from a very significant amount of money from Katrina that dried up. One of teh dangers of using 1 time funding for recurring expenses. We are probably going to see a drastic over -correction over the next 5 years, then things will work its way back to the middle. Till then the States and local entities will suffer. Going to be a tough 5 or so years.

21. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Mike, did you see in the advocate front page about acting superintendent of education. The Gov. and others want John White for this position. He was hired in April to be the head of the recovery school district. He came from NYC were he was the deputy chancellor for talent,labor and innovation. In Chicago and New Jersey he was the executive director of Teach for America, as well as an english teacher in New Jersey. He has a bachelor’s degree in English and is a member of the Broad Superintendents Academy.He is 35 years old. He has never been a superintendent of a school district and is now courted by the Gov as our state superintendent. Arne Duncan, former Chicago Schools Superintendent and now the U.S. Secretary of Education is pushing for his hire. The BESE board is one vote short of electing him. Seems Mr Duncan has been contacting the Bese board about support for Mr White. The BESE Board is comprised of 8 elected district members and 3 at large picked by the Governor. I’m gonna sound like Mike now but here goes, Obama,Arne Duncan, John White, Chicago, Teach for America.

July 9, 2011 at 9:19 pm

My wife had me write a letter to the governor about this. The teachers are none too happy. They want an educator in this position, someone that understands the nuts and bolts. Pasterek did not have a background in education and had no respect from the teachers. I have been watching but I need togo read that article.

23. Alton R Ashford

July 9, 2011 at 10:05 pm

The deputy superintendent is Ollie Tyler who is now acting superintendent. I think a lot of educators like her. Pastorek had to have someone with an education background as his assistant. Seems she started from the bottom and worked her way up in a 30 year career. Math teacher, asst principal, asst superintendent, interim superintendent in orleans and finally superintendent of caddo parish.(shreveport). People such as this is what we should be looking for in a superintendent. Not some political appointee wanting to hop around the country for the next best gig.

July 10, 2011 at 12:42 am

Only thing that worries me about that is the fact we have to learn to deal with budget cuts at least for a while. If you get a pure educator that cant factor in static or in some cases, decreasing budgets, it wont work. I think thats why Jindal is pushing White.

25. Alton R Ashford

July 10, 2011 at 9:11 am

Mike I understand your point about finances, but if you can run a school system with 42,000 students and over 70 schools you have budgeting experience. Anyone can make cuts to create a budget. You’ve got to know were you can cut without disturbing the education process.

July 10, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Absolutely Ray. Its a fine line. I just think that any budget for anything in Government has some fat. What disappoints me is the games being played by cutting things near and dear to us so we will be forced to say “raise taxes” and they dont touch things like welfare where th big money is so we can fund education. I guess Im saying we dont have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem because we dont allocate to our highest priority and education has to be in the top 5.

27. Maria L.

July 10, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Alton, if you read my previous posts, I am AGAINST the school board members being paid!!! Teachers have not received a raise in 3 years, and our health insurance premiums are going up this year, and this is being taken out of our paychecks! So, in the end, we take home less money! And this board wants to pay themselves at a time like this! WRONG!

28. Alton R Ashford

July 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Maria, after researching, discussing and reading comments of others, I have to agree with you. I can’t see how the board can justify voting themselves a raise. That being said, I hope people voice their opinions in a respectful manor. I do have a lot of respect for these people and what they do.

29. Let your voice speak

July 10, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Maria,

Without teachers coming forward to speak against this, it will pass. We need every teacher possible to show up. Numbers speak volumes. Please rally the teachers.

Thanks

30. Maria L.

July 11, 2011 at 7:47 am

They are being rallied. Problem is..it’s summertime and many are gone, plus most of the teachers are afraid to get up to the microphone to speak against it.

31. Another Central resident

July 11, 2011 at 8:31 am

I have heard that the school system is ruled with an iron fist and teachers be damned if they speak up or say anything that might show CCSS in a negative light due to fear of their jobs. That is the type of place I want to work for. It is time for some heads to roll. I hope districts start recall petitions if their elected offical votes yes tonight.

32. Central Resident

July 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

It would be the height of arrogance for this Board to vote themselves compensation at this time. There is alleged criminal activity in the Adminstration that this Board was warned about close to a year ago, and we don’t know the full extent of yet. This Board CHOSE to ignore the warnings and now must answer to this community: teachers, residents and students. I agree with ‘Another’ it is time for heads to roll.

33. Tami

July 12, 2011 at 1:41 am

Mike M. I believe I read in another article where you told someone how word’s seem to come back and bite you. Well I can’t wait until you run for that Senate seat because we have alot of material too choose from.
    But being that you took sides with Mr Stephens, which was the correct decision, you have to ask yourself why has Woody not reported on this arrest? I had someone check his Facebook page, his online paper and nothing has yet been reported. The simple fact is to report that would be reporting against Mr Faulk and that is not going to happen with Woody. If right is right and wrong is wrong why are you not crying foul now?
    Also let me give you something else to look into that Mr Faulk is very aware of. I spoke to a competitor that sat down with Mr Faulk, before MIS got the job, and told him to his face that “even if you do not chose us to put in your system make sure that whoever you chose puts in a system that can be retrofitted if a new company comes in”. I’m told by the competitor that Mr Faulk did not take this salesman’s advice which could be another huge cost for CCSS.

34. Another Central resident

July 12, 2011 at 9:18 am

Tami,

I will say this about Woody. He will never, ever publish anything that shows the CCSS in a negative light in his paper. It appears he has some very close relationships with the school board and he is making sure he doesn’t ruffle those feathers. He might need them in the future.

As for Mr. Faulk, he needs to GO now. He can take James Gardner, Jim Lloyd, David Walker, Ruby Foil, Willard Easley and Sharon Browning with him.

35. Another Central resident

July 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Come on Dave let my last sentance roll. I see others have used names under alias. If not remove my last sentance eventhough I have a feeling you problably agree.

July 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Another,

Speak about concepts, opinions about processes, and whether you think things are correct or incorrect, and feel free to do so anaoymously. If they are indeed public figures or have engaged in business which make them public figures you can comment on their actions so long as your comments are true and responsible, but you have to use your full name. I support free speech for our citizens, but I do not include cyber-identities as citizens. I hope you understand that this is the only way I can keep this forum from becoming a war zone.

36. delicious.com

December 17, 2014 at 3:52 pm

We’re furnishings wholesale and indonesia wooden furniture maker of handmade
    furniture. The fundamental supplies we utilize are wooden furniture and teak wood.
    We’ll continually be prepared produce and to present
    a high quality furniture that you want. Furniture-made from timber resources
    and we utilize are authorized and top quality timber.
    You will be able to make your adjustments regarding to your marketshare.

37. cotswolds map pdf

June 2, 2015 at 12:23 pm

You’re free to follow certainly one of our recommended routes or we can create your own tailored Cotswolds Adventure.

38. Passive Fire Penetration

August 9, 2016 at 3:29 pm

The very latest amendments were drafted in 2007 to incorporate the amendments
    to the Street, Drainage & Constructing Act, 1974 with regard to
    the Certificates of Completion and Compliance CCC.