Editorial/Op

Signs of Election Time

An Editorial by Dave Freneaux

It is Election Season in Central, and here two ways to prove it: First come the signs.  Signs on corners.  Signs in yards.  Signs on cars and trucks.  People you don't know asking if they can put a sign in your yard.  Signs in newspapers.  Signs on billboards.  People who I know would rather be sleeping in, waving signs on street corners at 6 AM.  Yes, it is Election Season in Central.

The second sign that it is Election Season in Central….the signs start disappearing.  No, the election is not over, in fact the campaigning is just getting started.  The signs are disappearing because misguided supporters of one candidate or another think that if they steal enough campaign signs, their candidate of choice will win.  Maybe it is a tradition passed down for generations.  Perhaps our forefathers arrived on the shores of this continent and were met with signs from the Native Americans saying "Go back to Europe", and they cleverly stole the signs so they would not have to get back on the ship and head East.  That would not have worked in 1492, nor will stealing a few yard signs change an election.

I have spoken to numerous candidates in Central, both winners and losers, over the past few years.  I have yet to find even one who thought stealing yard signs was a good idea or that it would change an election.  In fact, every single candidate I have heard from condemns the stealing of political signs and wishes that everyone would just grow up and let the candidates run a fair election campaign.

Yes, I am writing this editorial because the sign-thieving has begun again this year.  So, if respect for the political process or for the wishes of your chosen candidate do not deter people from the late night larceny, perhaps the thought of being caught on film by a diligent citizen or being caught in the act by the law will.  Feel free to campaign for your candidate and feel free to disagree with the politics of another candidate, but let's be "Central" and allow them to run a fair race.  On October 22nd the elections will be won by the candidate with the most votes, not the one with the most yard signs.

1. Lynne Terrio

September 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I have even had people run up into my yard to run over the signs.

September 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Folks as a candidate, this is one of the things I deplore. Signs dont win elections, people do so respect a candidates right to get their message out. In the end, if you get caught, you may be hurting the person you think you are helping !

3. Donna Dufour

September 15, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Last Friday night I put one up for Mike Mannino at the entrance of Country Roads Subdivision on Frenchtown Rd, Saturday morning it was gone. I hope someone took it that wanted to put it in their yard. I guess I’ll never know. I don’t condone this either. In case someone decides to decorate my yard the night of Oct 22nd like they did with Mac Watts signs for the Mayor race they will be filmed this time
    and I might just boobie trap my mail box too.

4. Another Central resident

September 16, 2011 at 9:12 am

I personally think political signs make a community look trashy. I wish political signs were banned but they never will be. I am so glad I live in a neighborhood with an HOA that does not allow signs in yards.

5. Donna Dufour

September 16, 2011 at 12:16 pm

It wouldn’t be so bad if they would only allow them a couple of weeks before the election and fine them for each sign each day that are left up after the election. Mike Mannino, along with a few others (can’t remember who) went around right after the Mayor and council election and practically picked up everyone of them. I think the Starns kept them at their house so each candidate could go there and get theirs.

6. Nathan

September 18, 2011 at 11:02 am

I have no problem with these signs as long as one of the candidates does something they are elected to do.