Sports

Wildcats’ Rally Falls Short against Woodlawn

By Josh Walker

Central made a game of it after trailing 27-6 in the third quarter. They fought back to make the score 27-20 before giving up two more touchdowns to end the game with a 41-27 loss. Woodlawn got the ball on the Wildcat 29 yard line in the first quarter after a Zach Evans fumble and scored on a ten yard touchdown pass. Central’s offense came right back and marched down the field on runs by Lamonte Janeau and Brett Courville and a 32 yard catch by Devon Gales to set up a one yard touchdown run by Courville. Those would be the only points the Wildcats would score in the first half while Woodlawn scored twice more on 80 and 39 yard touchdown passes.

The Panthers would also score to open up the second half on a 92-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. Gary Tripplet answered that return with one of his own, this time a 98-yard return, cutting the lead to 14 points. Central would score again on a one-yard Courville run to make it a one-possession game. After a Panther touchdown, Courville connected with Jeremy Anderson for a 13 yard touchdown pass. On their next offensive drive, the Wildcats got down to the Woodlawn 12 yard line after a 53 yard run by Courville before being stopped on a fourth down pass. Woodlawn would put the game away on a 29-yard touchdown run with 6 minutes left in the game.

Courville led the Wildcats with 165 passing yards with 11 completions in 24 attempts and one touchdown. He also led the team with 119 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Janeau ran for 44 yards and Evans ran for 18. Devon Gales led the receivers with 55 yards while Jeremy Anderson had 43 yards and one touchdown. Defensive end and tight end Zach Hetrick had one 31-yard reception. Hetrick led the Wildcat defense in tackles with 7. Paul Broussard had 5 ½ with a fumble recovery. Dalton Holdman also intercepted one pass.

Coach Dotson commented on the many positive things the Wildcats did. He said, “I’m proud of you guys. This is a good football team, and good football teams fight to the end.” He also said the Wildcats played physical and hard throughout the night but did not play smart. This will come with time though. This is still a very young team that will grow before your eyes. If they continue to give the effort that they are putting forth, they will be a force to be reckoned with at the end of the season.

1. Another Central resident

September 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Great effort by the players overshadowed by poor coaching.

2. Ray Ashford

September 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm

ACR, I think what your seeing is the development of young talent. Central Football was blessed with athletically gifted players the past 5 years. Especially at the skill positions. Very few public school teams are able to manage winning programs on an annual basis without a down season on occasion. In response to your post, player’s can give a poor effort and win, and coaches can do a masterful job and lose. Maybe the player’s parents are at fault for not providing them the genes to run 4:4 40’s, to punt the ball 50 yards, to kick 45 yd F/G’s and 70 yd’s off of a tee, to throw the ball 60 yd’s on a line, to measure 6’4″ and weigh 265 and to have the brains to be able to read and react to changing situations on the field as well as in the class room. I will accept some of the blame, because for five min I was amused by watching Dave and Mike banter at the fence from the stands, instead of vocally supporting our players. GO CATS BEAT THE BEARS

September 20, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Ray, I will have to call your hand on that one. I filmed every play from field level. I spoke with Mike at half time. Got great footage of Kickoff return for TD, but overshadowed by the loss.

3. Ray Ashford

September 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Josh Walker thanks for the weekly game re-caps. Your doing a fine job.

4. Another Central resident

September 21, 2011 at 10:53 am

I will stand by my previous comment. Great effort by the players overshadowed by poor coaching.

5. Ray Ashford

September 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Dave that must have been when the Woodlawn band was playing, because I watched the entire Wildcat halftime show in which my daughter performed. LOL. I remember looking around seeing you talking with Mike. What caught my eye, if I’m not going blind, was your index finger moving back and forth to your temple. I laughed, thinking this does not look good for Mike. The back to back runbacks at the beginning of the third quarter were amazing.

6. Michael Gardner

September 22, 2011 at 9:50 am

ACR if you can do better, then come on down and call some plays.

7. Another Central resident

September 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Keep up the good work Mike. You did well with the Freshman last year. Not keeping up with them this year but just JV/Varsity. Hopefully you are healing up from the accident. Hate to see that happen to anyone.

September 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

These kids are all winners. I forgot how much effort these coaches and kids put in until I started helping coach the C team last year. Tremendous amount of time put in by all, and I see how much time Jimbo Tate puts in with the C team. Amazing person that has dedication beyond belief as all these coaches and players do. Keep your heads up teams !!!

• Jayne

June 5, 2014 at 4:23 am

Wait, I cannot fathom it being so sttfhgiraorward.