Rep. Bodi White & BREC Sports Park: Just the Facts

Normally, election strategies and political jabs thrown in a campaign are not news. Such battles are usually fought out in well defined political ads and campaign speeches.  However, when the jabs become front page headlines and the subject matter is a much needed BREC Sports Park for Central, everyone wants to know what exactly happened, or, Just The Facts.

How did Representative White come to be involved in the project if he invested no money?  In a telephone interview, Rep. White shared that he and his business partners put together a business plan to develop an industrial park on this property.  Funding was obtained to purchase the property.  Rep. White spent a year working to bring the project to a marketable state, going through wetlands determination, laying out the projected development, marketing the concept and, in general, investing his time as “sweat equity” in hopes of making a fair profit in the coming years.  In a telephone interview Mr. Rogillio stated, that when Representative White left the property venture it had a net profit of approximately zero, owning property equal to the funding that had been secured to purchase it.

Did Representative White make any money as a result of his involvement in this property?  Mr. Rogillio clearly explained that Bodi White never invested any money in the project, and that when he withdrew from the project he received no money because the project had not made any profit.

When did Representative White bring this issue to the public?  In documents from a May 6, 2008 BREC meeting, four days after he became aware of BREC’s serious interest in the property, the minutes reflect that Representative White disclosed his ownership interest in the property.  Among those in attendance at this meeting were State Representative Clif Richardson, Metro Council Member Scott Wilson, State Representative Steve Carter, four BREC Board Members, two attorneys, State Representative Regina Barrow, Central Mayor Mac Watts, and BREC Superintendent Bill Palmer.  Once Bodi White knew of BREC’s serious intent to purchase the property, he stated publicly his desire to dissolve his interest so that he and BREC could avoid even the appearance of any conflict of interest.

Did Representative White dissolve his interest in the property?  On September 24, 2008, nine months prior to BREC’s eventual purchase of the property, documents filed with the Secretary of State evidence that Representative White did withdraw from the corporation which owned the property. And those are, Just The Facts.

In addition to his cooperation in assembling the facts above, Mr. Rogillio forwarded a copy of a letter to the editor written to another publication, and gave permission to publish it here.  It is a simple and well organized response to questions raised about the business dealings of a Central family and what role Representative White did, and in one case did not, play in these dealings:

E. Gordon Rogillio Jr.
17526 Hazeltine Drive
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70810
September 27, 2011

Woody Jenkins
Editor, Central City News
13567 Hooper Road
Central, Louisiana 70818

Dear Editor,

While I choose not to engage in the sensationalism that was the Central City News,    September 22, 2011 edition, I am compelled to provide you with the rest of the story. Enumerated below are some facts which will be important to any reader interested in the whole truth.

1.         November 2006- Brandon Rogillio enters an agreement to purchase a 52 acre tract with a 60 day due diligence period and authorizes the design of an industrial park

2.         January 2007- Parcel 52, LLC purchases 52.104 acres at the fair market value of $300,000

3.         April 24, 2007- Parcel 52, LLC purchases an adjoining 7.128 acre tract for $95,744 and Rogillio Real Estate begins marketing the 59 acre site as potential location for industrial warehousing

4.         July 2007- BREC does parkland acquisition study of the tract, as Rogillio Real Estate continues to market it as a potential warehousing site

5.         October 2007- Parcel 52, LLC invests in the improvement of the property, including large scale drainage improvements

6.         May 6, 2008, Mack “Bodi” White publicly discloses his interest in the parcel after BREC puts it on their short list of potential sites

7.         August 7, 2008- BREC presents their review appraisal to Brandon Rogillio, demonstrating a strong interest in the land

8.         September 24, 2008- Bodi White dissolves his interest in the potential warehouse project in favor of a BREC sports park. He received no money from the transaction

9.         June 19, 2009- BREC purchases 50.62 of the 59.23 acres owned by Parcel 52, LLC

10.       As a condition of the sale, Parcel 52, LLC becomes responsible for improvements to the BREC property, including the construction of a multi-acre retention pond

11.       As a condition of the sale, BREC becomes responsible for a portion of the cost to construct a 750-foot-long street which will serve as the access road to their park

I also wish to make it known that Rep. White was not involved in the creation of Central Auction House, LTD. The 2008 House Bill 610 was one of many pieces of progressive legislation pertaining to electronic bidding since 2001.

•           2001 HB 888 allows transmission data for Louisiana procurement electronically

•           2003 Central Auction House began developing its proprietary software

•           2006 LA DOTD begins accepting electronic bids with bidx.com

•           2006 the Office of the Governor, Division of Administration, Office of Information Technology, promulgates the rules for Louisiana Political Subdivisions to accept electronic bids

•           2006 Central Auction House, LTD registers with the LA Secretary of State and begins providing e-bidding services

•           2008 HB 610 receives unanimous approval from LA House and Senate & Governor Jindal signs into law

•           2010 LADOTD requires that all bids must be submitted electronically

•           2011 HB 192 receives unanimous approval from LA House and Senate & Governor Jindal signs into law

•           2011 SB 83 by Senator Jack Donahue authorizing Reverse Auctions is signed by the Governor

At this juncture, I can only stress how unnecessary these errors and omissions were. This fiasco could have been avoided by simply contacting us before running your story.

Sincerely,
E. Gordon Rogillio Jr.

September 30, 2011 at 10:23 am

OK Dave. You are late with the reporting here. However, let me give you a couple of things to ponder.

1) You mention wetlands so let me tell you what the previous landowners told me. They were going to build a subdivision on this site but were turned down due to it being ruled 75% wetlands.

2) My original timeline showed May of 2008 as the first time that Parcel 52 was aware this may be considered for a BREC park. It now appears that it was known in July 2007, which makes this within the first few months it was purchased. Going back to previously published data, BREC was also looking at a piece of property on Sullivan owned by the Rogillio’s. In all of Central, was this the only property available or is it just coincidence that all BREC looked at were Rogillio properties ?

3) If as stated, that 1/3 interest in a very lucrative deal was given to a State representative for free, we are going down a whole new path as this appears to violate State Ethics law. Who would ever believe that a person given something of that value that is in a position of influence in the legislature, would not feel some obligation to return the favor.

4) You state and all times lines show that the 1/3 interest was given up in 9-2008. But that was long after the bill was pulled and well after BREC was planning to buy this property as drawings of the site had already been published.

You have cleared up nothing only added to the speculation.

September 30, 2011 at 12:26 pm

OK Mike,
      It is all too easy to ask rhetorical questions simply to make something “look” questionable, without actually having to take a stance, put YOUR reputation on the line, and state what you KNOW for a fact. What you are doing is like someone jumping in on a thread in a public forum and asking whether anyone had heard a rumor that a candidate had a drug problem and had been in rehab twice. It would not have to be true in order to be damaging, and the person saying it has insulated themselves by asking a question rather than making a statement. That is why a number of times on this site I have told people that throwing out accusatory questions without proof is against my rules.

So here is your chance Mike:
      1) Present your evidence that a subdivision planning and zoning request was turned down due to a determination that the property had a 75% wetlands determination.
      2) Give your evidence that BREC has not looked at properties in Central other than the Rogillio’s (Careful here because I already know that is not true, and the printed proposed layouts will bear me out on that one.)
      3) Make a definitive accusation that Representative White’s participation in the Parcel 52 venture was a violation of State ethics law. Please don’t just hint, say it outright or I will know that you are actually unsure.
      4) If you are trying to make a case that a sitting legislator abused the authority of his elected office and, in effect, used legislation to blackmail an entity into making a real estate deal from which he then profited, again, please don’t hint. Please make your accusation definite so that you are on record as saying it happened.
      You say I have cleared nothing up. I submit that the only thing unclear is whether you are making an accusation or simply trying to raise questuions for which you actually have no answer.
      I am a big fan of the truth. Problem is, the truth does not take sides. It is what it is. If you “call upon” the truth, it is best that you know what it is. I do not have the luxury of taking sides on “which truth” to tell, because there is only one truth. So, if you want to make an outright accusation and are willing to stake your reputation on it, please do so here because I would love to be the news outlet on which true breaking news happens. However, if you are not willing to put YOUR reputation on the line when you call out your opponent, I am unimpressed and have to believe you are actually not even sure YOU believe what you are saying, but somehow are hoping that OTHERS will believe it and vote AGAINST your opponent, (not FOR you).
      I have told you in person that I am not a fan of negative campaigns, because that just tells me I should vote against what I don’t want. I prefer to vote FOR what I DO want. Spend 100% of your campaign effort telling me why I should vote FOR you, and I might just do it.

While I VERY much want you respond, ESPECIALLY to the 4 numbered items, I actually don’t think you will….but I would appreciate it.

2. Because I Care

September 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

I feel that this seems to be an informative article that helps to clear up the confusion regarding this matter. I think the fault simply lies with BREC for dragging their feet so long on this park. I am glad to see they are finally getting started with this park!

September 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Dave Im not responding to you on anything. I think you greatly underestimate the citzens ability to figure out things on their own. Like I told you a long time ago, the appearance of a conflict is a firing offense where I work. This goes way beyond an appearnce.

September 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I’m OK with that. But, as I said in my last post, I have asked that posters not put up unanswered questions simply for the purpose of arousing suspicions that they cannot back up with facts. I did not delet the last post because I do not want to be accused of targeting one candidate in the midst of a political campaign. However, if you will be unwilling to respond to my requests to substantiate a claim you make in the form of simply raising questions, I will respectfully ask that you not make the post in the first place. I will ask for the facts to support your statements or questions, and i will do so with any post by any candidate or their supporters.
      Feel free to express your opinions on issues or to share factual data.

Thanks,

September 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm

One couple more things for you to ponder. First, Im not doing your job for you. It looks like all you do is work to TRY and dispute anything that is counter to the people you support. I have yet to see you do any reporting that would put the group that opposes whats happening out here in a positive light. If I see it, Im sure others do.

Secondly, and this is the fault of all journalists, no law enforcement will get involved in something like this until after an election. Call and ask. They are afraid of being accussed of trying to influence an election. That is why you frequesntly see polititians indited after an election. Who knows what will happen in this case.

September 30, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I must have missed your post raising a few more points, so, here you go:
      I have pondered you points, as requested. First, you say I TRY to dispute anything counter to the people I support. Not true on several levels. First, i do not “Support” anyone. I may personally agree with some people’s views, but look over my coverage of the School Board election and tell me who I “support”. Photo opportunities are equal for all candidates, lengths and frequency of articles are the same for all candidates. Simply no intentional bias. Second, it is not my job to put people in a positive or negative light. It is my job to be sure the public is informed. If that means providing information that has been omitted elsewhere, or even correcting iformation that has been published that is not true, I will do that. I do not TRY to dispute enything unless it is wrong, incomplete, or presented in a deceiving manner.

Your second point is interesting. I am not going to say that any honorable law enforcement officer or agency would fail to do their duty just because someone is in the midst of a political campaign. But, I will play your gae and say, for the sake of argument, that this could be so. If so, it begs the question of why it has become such a quest and passion for you and for a newspaper to fervently attempt to build a case against your opponent ……in the middle of an election. You have made comments referencing your knowledge of this transaction which go back a year or more. Where was your sense of civic duty on this issue before you entered the Senate race? Insinuating that indictments usually happen after an election is clever.

5. Another Central resident

September 30, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I wish people would realize that District 6 is larger than just Central. Yes it is a big part but there are just as many people or more that each candidate would represent. I hope the other areas will see who is the best candidate and vote appropriately.

I am glad things are getting out about how Central was created not for the schools but to make a few individuals in the area rich. The schools was the major component for the creation of the city. Couldn’t have one without the other.

6. Maria L

September 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am definitely not a fan of negative campaigning and mudslinging. Proves nothing to me. All of the comments above have helped me make my decision as to who I will be voting for. Definitely not a candidate who negative campaigns.

Another Central Resident: Yes, some people are getting rich off the school system….The FIVE school board members who voted themselves a pay raise and are getting paid to do something that the first school board did for free!

7. Nancy Blount

September 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I feel that the information presented in this article and the article above this containing the interview with Representative Clif Richardson have helped to clear the air on this matter regarding the purchase of land for the BREC Sports Park. These two articles have helped to put this matter in the proper perspective. Two very informative articles!

8. Central Resident

September 30, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Looks to me like Dave has done his homework. Where is your ‘evidence’ Mike? I’m like Dave, put up or just drop it. I think you underestimate the citizens ability to see past the smoke screens, mudslinging and negative campaigning. Produce your incriminating evidence and let us make our own conclusions, not just what you or Woody want people to think.

9. Ray

September 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for interviewing Mr White, Dave.

September 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Resident thats all Ive done is produce evidence. You can do with it what you want. By the history of your posts, you would not have ever considered voting for me anyway as you are part of what is going on out here. Dave never does his homework except to defend the clique. I see nothing he has found on his own in this nor is it believable to most people that can think for themselves.

As far as negative campaigning, since when does relevent information become negative ? Its only negative when it goes against the agenda of the clique. Please be honest and tell me that if I had done the same thing in the same office that you would not be all over me about it. I thought so.

11. Nathan

September 30, 2011 at 5:31 pm

This thing stinks from the word go. I am sick in tired of hearing that poor Bodi didn’t make any money on his investment. Hint the word investment you are not guaranteed to make money on every investment and if you can’t afford to lose it don’t “INVEST”. Maybe we should ask Bodi how much he would have made if the project would have been successful. Finally a politician involved in a real estate company, talk about a huge conflict of interest on every level. Bodi, a word to the wise you need to get out of the real estate business if you want to remain a politician. There is way to many temptations for you to use your political influence for your own best interest. Even if you are a straight forward honest politician you will always be tempted to sacrifice your reputation to make a living. Which in this case I think you chose the lesser of two evils. Although I didn’t agree with your involvement on this issue I am still waiting for my yard sign.

September 30, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I caught that Ray LOL.

13. Debbie

September 30, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Nathan if you want a Bodi White sign,
    Contact me at 571-4252. We deliver and pick up sir
    Thank you!

September 30, 2011 at 9:39 pm

To those of you that doubt how serious these 2 issues are, here is a link to the Code of Ethics for La. http://www.ethics.state.la.us/Pub/Laws/ethsum.pdf A few definitions. … 1) Public Servant is an elected official 2) Substantial Economic Interest means an interest which is greater benefit to the public servant than to the general public 3) Thing of economic value means means money or any other thing having economic value. Prohibited : Receipt of anything of economic value by a public servant for services rendered for a person which may have substantial economic interests which may be substantially affected by the performance of the public servants official duties. Participation by a public servant in a transaction which may have a substantial economic interest to any party indebted to him or is in a position directly affected by his economic interest. Folks this is serious stuff and if you choose to ignore the blatant disregard, that is up to you.See More

September 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Mike, if you intend to continue to use this site to campaign, I’m asking that you substantiate your accusations with facts.
      Thanks,

September 30, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Bud your definition is facts is a little skewed. All i posted was straight off the State website. JUmp on them, not me.

16. Richard W.

September 30, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Couldn’t agree more with Dave. Mike, if you are so 100% sure of the allegations you keep speaking about, AND you have PROOF of these things, why the hell don’t you just get up there, poke your chest out, step up to the mic, and as Dave said “PUT YOUR REPUTATION ON THE LINE AND STATE WHAT YOU KNOW FOR A FACT”!! I mean if you truly believe you’re right about everything you’ve accused these people of, AND can prove it, what in the hell are you waiting on?? Make it official!! It’s all you keep talking about EVERY day!! And yes, I follow all the blogs and forums and it’s all you keep talking about. So do many others as you know, mainly to get a good laugh and have something to talk about at the water bottle the next day at the office. Sorry I can’t help but read the blogs and such, sort of like standing in the grocery line and grabbing an enquirer or Central’s version of the enquirer I mean (same difference), I just can’t pass it up because I love to see how ridiculously silly it can get! And about this latest thing about Mr White’s past job or whatever. I mean do you have proof or not??? If you do, well just come on out with it for everyone, if not, stop whining about all the horrible things Mr. White has done, and start telling us all about all the wonderful things YOU have done for this city or anything else positive. Nope, once again, you heard this and you heard that. That’s what I keep waiting to hear, all the wonderful things YOU have done for this city. PLEASE tell us about those things, because any time I’ve heard your name, it’s been in the middle of some sort of drama, accusations, or mud slinging.

Surely there’s MANY MANY things you’ve done for the wonderful people of Central that we just haven’t heard about right?? You don’t seem like the type to brag (cough) so maybe that’s why we haven’t heard about all of them. Better hope no one for the other camp starts digging around in YOUR closet for negative things to bring up and make public. It’s a very small town ya know. (wink, wink) I don’t think they’re gonna need to anyway, heck you’re already doing a pretty good job making yourself look silly once again.

So, is this year’s annual group of Mannino’s conspiracy theory accusations as SOLID and FACTUAL as the ones you accused the City of Central of a while back with the thousands of dollars worth of documents that you and that tabloid editor on the other end of your strings had the city print or release for you?? I guess for Mr. White’s sake, I hope so haha. I know what you’re gonna say, I already saw it somewhere else haha, “It shouldnt have cost the City a cent but people he is assocaited with here in Central are in government and caused unncessary legal fees because they would not give me the records, and when they did, most of it was redacted.” Yeah you don’t have to tell me again, already saw that one too. Well, it shouldn’t have is right Mike, but it DID!! (Thanks for lookin out by the way) We’re all still waiting to hear the major announcement on that one too, I mean did I miss something?? Were the horribly corrupt findings posted in the central news enquirer paper and I missed them? Sorry, sometimes I don’t get to read the whole thing if there’s a fast bagger in front of me at the grocery store, but no worries it usually gets used for a better purpose, like to wipe the wet grocery belt off from a leaky milk jug or to cover my hair if it’s raining out. But seriously, when you reply and I know you will, leave the city documents stuff out if you don’t mind, I think it’s safe to say we’ve listened to that poor horse getting beat to death.

You know, it’s a good thing you started out announcing you planned to run a clean election haha (I don’t remember the exact quote, but close enough, you get the point) . Please correct me if I am wrong, but Mr. White NEVER… NOT ONCE… said one negative thing about you or your reputation, UNTIL you made an attack on his reputation. And judging by his past election races, he probably never would have had you not start slinging mud right out of the gate. Are you that unsure of yourself in this election that the only thing you can do is INSTANTLY bash your opponent, then every single day thereafter?? Have you no sense of self pride that the ONLY method you can attempt to win on is mudslinging constantly??? I would think you would have more faith in yourself as an opponent, that you wouldn’t need to stoop to such a level. Oh wait, you’re just looking out for the best interest of “the people” right? I forgot. Gee thanks, always thinking of others.

So IMAGINE THAT, once again, Mike Mannino has discovered a MAJOR CONSPIRACY (or many conspiracies/mistruths/etc. according to you) has/have taken place and you are all over it once again and will do whatever it takes to TRY and prove wrongdoing AGAIN, no matter if along the way you help destroy countless friendships between friends and families all over this old town, help cause good folks to their jobs, embarrass and create more added unnecessary drama for your family, and more likely than anything, make yourself look even more foolish than you’ve successfully done before. It’s just kinda sad really. I’ve heard from a few people in the past that you were a good person and things they’ve said things like “he means well”, but “he means well” don’t mean sh*t!! How about DO well?I And no I am not trying to “silence you” but dammit, stop blaming, bitching, whining, finger pointing, etc. and just go PROVE to everyone that you are the man for the job!!! DO YOU HAVE IT IN YOU MIKE? CAN YOU WIN THIS ELECTION BASED ON YOU’RE OWN ABILITIES AND NOT THE SUPPOSED LACK OF YOUR OPPONENT’S??? I DON’T THINK YOU WILL EVEN ATTEMPT!!!! Have you EVER tried to get something accomplished without bashing others?? AND How has that worked out for ya so far? You’d be really surprised how many minds you can change playing nice Mike, even if you’re pretending to try, hell you even had ME fooled at first, and I’m being dead honest! It only lasted for a few seconds once I got to the end of your announcement sentence on facebook, but hey at least I was nibbling on the bait, even if you did jerk the hook away too fast! Better luck next time though.

I sure hope that the people in all these other areas outside of Central trust and believe your nonsense more than all the Central folks that voted in the Council race, don’t you?? (I think I said that wrong, I really don’t hope that) At least this time “last place” will only be out of 2 people instead of 9 though, so there’s one good way to look at it. And just to go ahead and let you know, no I probably won’t respond to your next response but who knows, I may get really bored again. And TRUST ME, it isn’t out of fear or you’re disproving anything I feel is right or wrong. I’ve said pretty much all I wanted to say, and besides, you have about a snowball’s chance in hell of changing my mind on anything you’ve already said or done. And besides, this is an hour of my life I’ll never get back, so I’d prefer to waste my hours on more productive things in the future, like talking to a brick wall or tree, they’ll surely be better listeners haha (wink). This started out as a 2 or 3 sentence reply but once I started I couldn’t stop! But don’t worry I’ll be reading the responses of course and so will many others, you know they all love this sort of thing, so make it good! And I know you will, I just know it. I do bet I get a few (thousand) fist pumps out of this one for sure, even though it’s not why I commented, but hey I’ll take them anyway. Ok I’m spent, like I said, an hour of my life I’ll never get back. Sorry to take so much of your time, but thanks for reading. Good luck to you and your family Mike, and I mean that. I know there’s something down deep in there somewhere besides anger, you should really see if you can find it and use it to your ability. They say ya get more bees with honey! You can thank me later. Goodnight!

17. Ryan

October 1, 2011 at 12:12 am

Didnt the records request made by Mr.Mannino lead to the search for a new firm for city services? Didnt the firm we hired save a significant amount of money for the city? just asking. Also did anyone really expect Mr.White to release a statement admitting his guilt? Maybe the delivery of the information on Mr.White skews the point, I mean a government official who moonlights as a real-estate agent in the same area he represents, I mean even if no wrong doing is taking place why subject yourself that kind of temptation, how much does his involment with certain properties effect re-zoning issue (not accusing at all) just stating.You dont have to be a politician or even politically involved to pay attention to the things going on in this city involving government and land purchasing, re-zoning etc Heck some are even hiding there involement in projects like new neighborhoods by using others as the front man on projects (once again not starting rumors just general satement) Spend some time on the secretary of states website and search the peoples names you hear so frequently, and I know it is totally legit business dealings and everyone is out to make a buck, but how long are you going to let the same people continue to pimp out “the country in a city” or whatever and call it increasing the tax base or raising your home value. Hell, we all love it here so much you dont plan on going anywhere anyway why would you want to increase your home value to pay more taxes anyway? Sure this is a great city but take the blinders off and realize everyone is not out for the good of everyone, Somebody probably the majority is looking out for number one!Sorry Richard my rant wasnt as good as yours but i gave it a shot!

18. Rodney Bonvillain

October 1, 2011 at 7:38 am

Ryan,

I typcially don’t responded to messages on this or other websites. I sometimes read for to see what people are thinking and sometimes to get a laugh.

You made the following statement “You dont have to be a politician or even politically involved to pay attention to the things going on in this city involving government and land purchasing, re-zoning etc” on your post. I have served on the Planning and Zoning Commission since our City was established and currently serve as the chairman. The P&Z Commission has served with the utmost integrity, I have seen every case that has came before the commission and have no idea what you are talking about. If you have any evidence that I or anyone else on the Commission has done anything inappropriate please bring the specific information forward so it can be investigated. If you would like to discuss this matter privately my phone number is in the book.

PS – I don’t think that a link exist between the public records request and rebidding the City Services contract. The intention was to rebid the contract all along since we only had one bid when we started.

Rodney J. Bonvillain

19. Ray

October 1, 2011 at 10:56 am

Dave, in your article it states, that it was clearly explained that Mr White never invested any money in the project. Upon his withdrawal from the project, a profit had not been realized so he received no compensation. I read as a quote in CCN, from the RWF, were he stated that he and his wife lost a $100,000 dollars on the deal. ???

20. Maria L

October 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

Richard W: That’s the best rant I have ever read. Finally, you said what people all across this city are thinking and wanting to say. I agree. People need to quit the whining, mudslinging, “he said, she said” antics that have been going on around here. I don’t like negative campaigning. I agree too. Show me what YOU can do as a candidate and don’t criticize your opponents. My mind is already made up who I’m voting for, and I’m not involved in politics or anything like that. I’m just a citizen who started paying more attention after this current school board voted themselves to be paid, which was shameful!

And Ryan, maybe you see the same names over and over again because they are the ones trying to make the city better. They are the ones who volunteer their time, while others just sit behind a computer screen and gripe and complain and don’t contribute anything except degrading other people. Perhaps you read too much of the Central Enquirer as well (talking about the other newspaper). That’s the paper that prints terrible stories about people and never gives those people the chance to respond or never talks to those people to get their side of the information before printing a story.

Richard W: Amen!

21. Ryan

October 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Mr. Bonvillain, if I came across as accusing the P$Z of any wrong doing i apologize because that is not what i implied. No i have gripes or issues with the job the P$Z is doing at all.As i also stated i know that these are totally legit business dealings. I dont post to make accusations against anyone or put anyone on the defensive, just a challenge to people to make look into whos involved and what and determine who is really gaining more the individual or the city. As far as the city service contract i have no doubt of the intention to rebid the contract eventually, one can only think that the records request speed up that action considering the timeline, its easy to say that the intention was to rebid eventually after the fact, eventually could mean 2 years 8 who knows? Eventually is pretty wide open. Its all old news anyway sorry to bring it up. Marie, its wrong to make the assumption that i believe anything either paper says, my statements were made to challenge people to search out info on there own and not rely on either paper. Its very possible that the issues brought up in the “Central Enquirer” are not correct because it is only two men making statements with no paper work to back those statements, but if thats true then three men making statements in this paper with nothing but there versions of the stories to back it are no different. I mean what makes two plitical candidates and one of there employers version anymore true than the other. Which proves my point if you do your own research you dont need either paper to make your mind up for you. As far your comment about people names who volunteer, your right it is very admirable the time and energy that they put into the city to make it better, but it cant be assumed that just because your involved in charity etc that everything you touch and do in life, business etc is great and wonderful and for the best of the city, Cmon! And thank you for becoming the people you referd to “who sit behind a computer screen and attack and degrade people” by attacking and degrading me for possible reading a paper you dont think i should and then attacking the paper itself. If you want a paper to voice peoples opionion and there side of the story write to the opinion section of the advocate.
    I thought i could make a post on here and attempt to make some points to get people to think outside the box or outside the two papers on everything in central, certainly did not expect to be accused of “mudslinging” at the P$Z and whatever maria accused me of. Sorry for trying to get involved

22. Ray

October 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Well said Ryan. You owe no one an apology for your thoughts or opinions. There are plenty of people that don’t post here that make sure their voice is heard at most meetings in this city.

23. Maria L

October 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Ryan: Sorry if I offended you. I do not know you and did not mean anything personal towards you. My comments were not directed at you. I just get tired of “the boy who cried wolf” implied stories around this city. Try working in the Central School System if you really want to hear rumors. There are too many positive things going on in our city, schools, and churches for a few people to keep being so negative when they hear a rumor. If I don’t know something for a fact, then I’m not going to spread it around. I just try and ignore it.

October 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Wade nice rant and I see you post the same garbage everywhere. Its getting old with a lot of people.

Ryan, let me say that I have been a strong supporter of the Master Plan and I have seen too few exceptions by P&Z to even mention. They have done a great job sticking to it overall. Much better than BR did with the Horizon plan. Is it finished ? I dont think so, but its a great start. And I can tell you after attending many P&Z meetings, they get more heat than the CIty Council by far. But they steadfastly stick to the plan. There have been what appears to be some potential conflicts of interest but I have to say I have yet to see that affect any decision. I know Mr Bonvillion to be a stand up guy that is very knowledgable and guides the process by the book. Sometimes, people dont like that but if he strictly went by what people want the Commission to do, it could open the City up for a lawsuit. Some of the issues we are having is due to ordinances that are not yet tight enough to prevent unintended consequences. I am confident that this will be addressed as the gaps are identified.

25. Nathan

October 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Not to agree or disagree with Mr. Exxon Middle Mgmt but political mudslinging is how elections are won. Irregardless of the truth to the rumors that is what people will be thinking about when they press CAST. There is no such thing as clean politics look at ole EWE. Everyone needs to start focusing on the issue that need to be solved in our district and stop worrying about some stupid land deal that did nothing for us.

I applaud your effort in trying to set the record straight but lets be realistic sometimes JUST THE FACTS is just another side to the story. You know every story has three sides, his side her side and then the truth. The last one rarely is ever discovered. I think you should change JUST THE FACTS to CSI (Central Speaks Investigation)

On another note could you devote a section of your paper to southern recipes. I really enjoy reading this section in the advocate and would like to see a local paper step up and take charge on this.

26. Ryan

October 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

Can someone tell me which part of this story is a rumor or conspiracy, and once again im not attacking anyones take on this article and the information from both sides, Im just trying to understand this whole thing a little better. There was an allegation made of Mr. Whites being apart of the BREC land deal and part owner of the land before the deal was made, Mr. White and the real estate company he works for confirmed this with there responses in both papers, so thats not a rumor it is a fact, correct.Mr White said he lost $100,000, The real estate owner, His partner, says he lost nothing except earning potential, that is a mis-understanding, I think. Whether or not this is a violation of ethics, at this point is a matter of your personal thoughts, but could possible become a fact if the ethics board or someone with that authority really wants to make an issue of it.I think that about covers it, and i cant see where any of this can still be called a rumor, just my thoughts. I totally agree with nathan about this article and noone every really knowing the entire truth.

27. Ray

October 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

Ryan, thats why I have been asking questions. Is the intent for us to read between the lines to form a conclusion? Are you supposed to ignore it if you are a White supporter? Are you supposed to believe it if you support Mannino? Is the intent to put doubt in your mind or to expose a wrong doing? That’s what is frustrating for me because I want to make an informed decision when i vote. I have no ill feeling toward the candidates, because I don’t know either on a personal basis, other than bantering with Mike on this website, which I have enjoyed doing. I wish Mr White would address the Central community in some form.

28. Ryan

October 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

Ray,
    I think unfortantly the train of thought most people have is that everyones mind is already made up on who they are voting for and that questioning anything in anyway is twisted into spreading rumors or trying to create problems when all your doing is searching for information. Im like you I want to know everything i can about each candidate before i cast my vote. I feel your dead on about the way people feel who have already made up there minds, which is understandable they should believe in there candidates strongly enough to defend them, but i think maybe some of them on both sides have lost the ability to look at things objectively, and yes that is only my opionion not intended to “mudsling” at anyone. I to would like Mr.White to address this also, in a way that would allow for some type of interaction with the community, not in a article typed up in a newspaper with quotes from him, accompanied by an article to help to re-enforce it about integrity or lack of.Im like you on the $100,000, who is right Mr.White or his employer, if they cant agree on what happened how are we supposed to have made a determination of whos right or wrong in this deal?

October 2, 2011 at 10:59 am

Ryan,
      The root of the problem here is that what Mr. Rogillio said contradicts the quote attributed to Representative White, but the words in quote marks are not what was said. Misinformation is a powerful weapon.

Ryan and Ray,
      I suggest if you want an explanation, call Bodi White.

29. A Lot To Think About

October 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Ray, about the land purchase for the BREC Sports Park and wanting Mr. White to address the community about it, I just want to share the following link to an interview with Mr. White about his candidacy. He
    addresses the land sale in part of the interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghqBf7to-VU&sns=em
    Also, like you mentioned in a comment on the article above this, I would also like to watch video coverage of the Republican Women’s Forum and get the see Mr. White and Mr. Mannino speak in their own words. Maybe this would be helpful to really see how and what Mr. White
    actually said about the approximated 100,000 dollar lost earning potential?

30. Ryan

October 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Dave, could you explain your comment so i fully understand what your referring to? What words in quote marks are you referring to? Who said them? Who mis-quoted that person?

October 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Ryan,

I am referring to the only words of Representative White that are in print asserting that White said “My wife and I lost $100,000 on that so the people of Central could have a park”. The quote was printed in the Central City News, with quotation marks around it, attributing it to Bodi White, and White never said that. So, before I tell you what he said, come clean and tell me who you are please. My name is Dave Freneaux, what is yours?

October 3, 2011 at 7:11 am

Ryan,
      I really did not expect you to respond and tell us who you are. Like I pointed out, Mannino has said multiple times that he objects to anonymous posters. I will look for your response today.
      Dave Freneaux – 225-262-3730

31. Donna Dufour

October 2, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Are you serious Dave? Bodi most certainly said he and his wife lost $100,000, only it was so the children of Central could have a park. A Park that we have yet to see. These two things are the facts. I was there. Where’s the video? Sorry Dave but what you said just isn’t true this time.

32. Ray

October 2, 2011 at 5:37 pm

“A Lot To Think About” thanks for the you-tube link to the White interview. I like how the interviewer lets the candidates speak freely and not just give gotcha questions. Mr Mannino has an interview with action 17 news also!

33. Donna Dufour

October 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Or Dave, is this just a play on words?

October 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Donna,

You know my track record better than that. I try never to weigh in without the evidence on my side. In this case, you remembered what you wanted to hear, which is fine if you are not printing it in a newspaper with quote marks attributing it to a candidate, then trying to make a case questioning the credibility of the candidate based on your own mis-quotation. I’m thing a cockamamie characiture of the truth beats misinformation every day, or week.

34. Donna Dufour

October 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Then please Dave give us the true quote.

35. Donna Dufour

October 2, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I noticed the last council meeting video up, the Central Women’s Republican meeting was before that and was no longer than the 4 hour council meeting, yet it is not up. Will you be putting it up for view?

October 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Experimented with a new video camera. Still working to solve file conversion issue for upload.

36. Eddie

October 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Full Disclosure- I don’t live in Central. I have been trying to get a feel for these two characters/candidates from the outside looking in but y’all get side tracked pretty easily over there which makes it difficult.

I think you all are going on about something here that you agree didn’t happen. He lost $100k or he lost the opportunity to make a $100k? In either case he didn’t get the money. No money, plus the note(liability),you can forget an ethics issue.

Nonsence aside, I have read some stuff and seen both of their Action 17 interviews on youtube. Mannino seems likeable enough when he is not making foolish accusations. But even then I don’t get the sence that he is much of a leader. It’s hard for me to imagine that a man like that would get much respect around the capital. White just seems to have him out classed and that is really what has me leaning in that direction.

I’m not makeing a commitment yet. I’m gonna wait and see if I overlooked something in either candidate. Eddie

October 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Eddie its not about just this one issue unfortuantely and you make an assumption there was a bank note. This was a cash sale so where did Mr Whites part come from ? Id love to walk into a business, have someone give me a third at no risk and no skin in the game. I dont think thats going to happen.

Now as far as my leadership skills, I have been the head of the entire machinery business at the place I work. Over 180 people working for me. I made decisions everyday that were multi-million dollar decisions. One wrong move and not only would it cost us money, it could impact the community. I did this day in day out not just for a few months during a legislative session. Hired well over 150 people. interviewed over a thousand. So I am very capable of leading a large group, building teams, and managing large budgets. Thats a given, so for me it boils down to honesty and integrity while doing it. I have repeated this over and over, I cannot engage in any activity that even has the appearance of a conflict. No matter how you look at this, it far surpasses that benchmark, or else we wouldnt even be discussing it. All the people complaining about government today, this is a prime example of whats wrong with it. Just my stance, you as the voters can decide if it passes your test.

38. Donna Dufour

October 2, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Dave, can you give us your version of the quote till the video comes out? Seems like a bad time to try a new camera.

39. Ray

October 2, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Dave, your right. I think I should contact Mr White this week. Why ask others for their opinion of something he was involved with, when I can ask him myself.

40. Alvin R McLeod

October 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

Richard,

First I would like to say I hardly ever respond to these post that appear on this site. I feel obligated that I must enter my two cents for whats it’s worth. I would like to applaude your recent post I feel it was spot on.

October 3, 2011 at 10:16 am

Call them all out Dave. I dont like anyone not posting under their name. Why do you have a problem with Ryan and not the rest ?

42. Another Central resident

October 3, 2011 at 11:02 am

I support you for the upcoming election but I think the number of postings you have on social media and sites like CCS is going to hurt your campaign in the long run. I see you have a facebook page. Use it to get the message across. Just my 2 cents.

October 3, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for the support and point taken.

44. Donna Dufour

October 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Dave,is it possible to come by a view the video right off the camera till you can solve the file conversion issue for upload? Or Maybe you can give the quote as you heard it said. I’ve asked now three times and still no response. If I can’t view it or you won’t quote it I’ll have to stick with CCN”s version and what I heard with my own ears.

October 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Donna,
      No time right now. On deadline.

45. Eddie

October 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I didn’t assume it. Funding was mentioned twice in this article. By the way a cash sale doesn’t necessarily mean they didn’t sign for the risk, so don’t count on that argument. I am trying not to give up on you, but your lack of preparation and judgement have me more than a little concerned.

I appreciate your comments on leadership. I’m sure you will be able to pull from your interviewing and hiring experience, but that’s not the kind of leadership I was referring to.

I was referring to those who lead with influence, not authority. I will be looking for some of that from you. You don’t have to tell me about it though, just show me.
    Eddie

46. Lyn Camus

October 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I was at the Republican Women’s Forum in Central too, and I will not quote Mr. White directly because I did not write down what he said word for word, and I don’t have it on tape. I will say to the best of my recollection Mr. White said that he and his wife lost $100,000 on that deal so the children of Central could have a park to play in (or a place to play?). His pattern of speech and tone of voice changed as he made that statement, I believe towards the beginning of the statement, and it appeared to me that he became somewhat emotional or “choked up” (my words there to describe what I saw and heard).
    I do not disagree that you must accurately quote individuals or you lose credibility and risk people doubting the validity of your future statements, as well as risk being guilty of libel and/or slander. Let’s see the video or get a direct quote from someone who has access to it who is willing to quote it directly for us.

October 4, 2011 at 12:20 am

Lyn I think you are close enough. It captures what I interpreted him to mean. Now you may have a period out of place or forgot to dot an I and you will probably get corrected by some, but it was the message that was heard that night.

October 4, 2011 at 7:38 am

No Mike, not a period out of place, but an entire part of the explanation of the transaction left out. Then all you have to do is take the misquotation and make it the basis for an article arousing suspicion about the transaction. Neat trick.

48. Donna Dufour

October 4, 2011 at 8:34 am

Dave all you have to do is put your version on here. But I see now we will not see that video and you will not print the remark as you heard it, so at this pint I will move on knowing that you are not at all about the facts, except the ones you change around to make them less damaging than they are.

October 4, 2011 at 8:47 am

Donna,
      I don’t have “a version”. There are no “versions” of quotes, only the accurate quote. A little patience and you will have your accurate quote. Then, you can tell me whether I am the one changing things around.

October 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Simple question. Wheres the parks that we were promised in 2008 ? The only one to benefit so far are my opponents business partners. All the activity you see is to improve the commercial frontage. Little progress on the park, go check it out yourself. And even when it is done, its only part of what we were promised.

50. Jason M.

October 4, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Mr. Dave,

I’ve been looking over this post the last several days and I understand that you Are seeking hard proof in everything that your asking for and that is completely understandable and respecteD. At the same time you have continuosly said that mr. Whir did not make the comment about him and his wife losing 100,000 dollars on the BREC park situation. I wasn’t there and they have had conflicting reports mostly from both sides of supporters. So for people who might look at this page in other voting blocks, when will that video be posted? You’ve been so adamant I’m clearing up the land deal issue on all fronts except this one issue. You say you have a video but you can’t convert it. If you are at all the meetings can you bring it to the next one and play it on your camera for people to see?

51. Jason M.

October 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm

The reason I ask that this issue be cleared up is because if he didn’t say it the it would be consistent with his stance throughout the whole situation. If he did say it the it is a clear contradiction between him and Mr. Rogillio.
    Jason

52. Richard W.

October 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm

My goodness this reminds me of the nonstop argument over “who placed the ad” crap back in the CH2MHILL days!! You remember, one of the many other conspiracies… I haven’t seen the video nor was I there, but seriously, whether he said he lost 100k or the potential to make 100k, does it really make a bit of difference on who can and/or will do a better job in this position??? I mean let’s say the infamous video does get posted eventually and we find out for sure that he said one or the other, now what?? Oh my, what to do now?? Stop whining about such petty sh*t why don’t you!! Let Donna and the women of Non Censored handle the whining part for you and stop acting like a child who got his toy taken away! I mean hell Mike, theyre doing a fine job of turning people away from you as it is, why add to it? I have never in my life seen someone running for such a position act this way about more ridiculous nonsense…

October 4, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Wade do you have a split personality ? You may not think this is a big deal but many, many do. Just ask around.

54. Richard W.

October 4, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Yeah Mike, my name is Wade… and I have a split personality… Ok Horatio. So anway, where should I “ask around”, Non Censored? CCN? Mike there’s a small handful of people that truly care about YOUR version of “THE ISSUES”, such as things like “did he say it or not??” as much as you do, and most of those are the little crew of angry women you hang out with on that Facebook page you continue to align yourself with. Good thinking by the way, very professional. I’m sure all successful political figures argue on Facebook with, or in the presence of, thousands of potential voters in their community during election time.

Mike, don’t you find it the least bit odd that Bodi White makes no whiny finger pointing posts on Facebook, no comments arguing on Central Speaks about trivial stuff like this, or anything at all like this back and forth bickering you do EVERY day with whomever you can spark up an argument with? What, do you think it’s because he can’t defend himself? Or maybe he’s afraid? Hardly the case. No, he doesn’t HAVE TO!! He has OTHER things he can talk about, like what he’s already achieved AND what he WILL achieve in the future! Obviously you have nothing else to offer except all the corrupt findings that you supposedly found, or finding, or whatever. Don’t you ever get tired of constantly trying to find bad in something good? Guilty until proven innocent in your court I guess, huh?

55. Mike Stephens

October 5, 2011 at 9:01 am

The most helpful article in either newspaper concerning BREC was the Cliff Richardson interveiw. The question that I would like to have answered by Mike M is “How long have you been sitting on this information”? You have been fussing about BREC for months. If you failed to report any suspected wrong doing and now use it to create suspicion as an election ploy, can the citizens of Central trust you?

56. Jason M.

October 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

Richard,
    At this point my concern over the supposed statement made is not evenabout so much what was or wasn’t said. Central Speaks is supposed to be the paper that goes on facts and is unbiased. There has been an interview with a representative to support Mr. Bodi’s position, Mr. Rogillios letter reprinted in what is said to be it’s entirety. Mr. Dave had written earlier that the statement was not made and others are saying it was. So if everything so far has been backed up by FACT, and the title of this writing IS JUST THE FACTS, then why is this the one thing that is not being supported by the facts. On that note, who are you to decide what is relevant in the debate and what isn’t. If it’s backed up by facts then it either becomes an issue or becomes a non-issue. By the sounds of it your voting for Mr. Bodi anyway, so why to you continue to inject your opinion? Oh wait it’s because you have the right to, just like the other side has the right to ask about a video that has or may not have a statement on it that they thinking relevant to the current issues. If it’s not relevant, and it’s just hurting the campaign then just let them keep bearing the drum because in the end it’s just going to help Mr. Bodi who you obviously are voting for. So why worry about it?

57. Another Central resident

October 5, 2011 at 11:36 am

Mike Stephens,

Please give me the names of the last politicians you were able to trust. I don’t trust anyone of them. They are just power hunger individuals. With that said it becomes a choice of choosing the worst of two evils.

58. Blaine

October 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Mike
    I read above that you don’t like anyone not posting under their name. But you use an anonymous Facebook page to push your issues and accusations?

59. Keith Holmes

October 5, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Mike Stephens,

Just to put a plug in for our Congressman, Bill Cassidy. I have known him for almost 30 years. We were roommates in medical school. He is of the utmost when it comes to integrity and believe me you can put your trust and confidence in him. I wish all of our Congressman had his character. Just my two cents.

October 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm

@ Blaine I cant control other people, only influence them. Control is a bad thing. And I NEVER post under anything but my name. Thats called standing up for what you believe and having a backbone. You can never say I hide behind, or otherwise disguise what I truly believe, And I always support anyones right to disagree. Many people that I consider friends post on here and dont agree with me on many things. But I have the utmost respect for them because they will tell me how they feel and not hide. Its a choice and we have that right.

61. Blaine

October 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Mike..I guess what sticks with me is I am 100% certain you know who NCC is. They have been the dividing issue in Central. This has been going on for a LONG time. It didn’t just start with this state senate race. That site has done nothing but speculate, accuse, slander, and attempt to tear down good people. You are right there supporting it. And I’m sure your going to defend the page and criticize the leaders in Central. But Mike…..y’all found nothing in the records request. I have family members who are your supporters….they obviously think highly of you. Yet, all I know of you is what is spewed on that page. I don’t want all roses…..but at some point I’d like for all the nonsense to stop.

62. Blaine

October 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

63. Ray Ashford

October 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

As was suggested, I called Mr White and left a message yesterday afternoon. He returned my call at 7:30 am today. I was on a construction site and couldn’t take notes so I will not even attempt to quote the man. Instead I will give a brief understanding of our conversation, in my own words. I was not planning on posting my conversation with him but since I asked questions about this issue on this site, here goes.
    Mr White signed a promissory note for his part of the land purchase with the intent of developing an industrial park. After the City of Central petitioned to be released from BREC involvement, an offer of a park and other upgrades were promised by BREC to the community. I can’t recall if BREC or the City of Baton Rouge, was going to file a lawsuit against the City of Central, retaining high profile attorneys, not unlike the ones that represented the contractors during the school bidding confusion. Those involved in the process, thought it was not wise for Central to be involved in a costly lawsuit at that time, and agreed to accept BREC’s offer. Mr White and his wife felt it would be best if they relinquish their part of the property to Mr Rogillio to avoid any negative perceptions from the public. Unfortunately, he is being accused of something he didn’t benefit from, hence the comment that his wife and he lost out on a $100,000 dollars so the children could have a park. He stated he was misquoted in the CCN but I can’t recall the quote he stated to me. Once again these are my words describing a conversation I had with Mr White.
    I am now back were I started before the article came out in deciding who I should vote for. Also, Just as I referenced Mr Mannino’s intrerview with Action 17 news, Mr White had a interview outside a church prayer breakfast with the same people yesterday morning.