Rep. Clif Richardson Speaks Up on Integrity

An Interview by Dave Freneaux

Knowing how closely you have been involved with the BREC projects in Central, when a question came up concerning BREC and Rep. Bodi White you were the first one I called.  Can you clear up for us whether there was anything suspect in BREC’s land purchase for the new Lovett Road Sports Park?

I looked back over my notes and paperwork from May of 2008 forward and we had a number of meetings with BREC.  We had expressed to them that we didn’t feel like we were getting our fair share, and we weren’t getting their attention.  They met with us to try to respond and bring Central the recreation facilities we deserved.  Now to cast a shadow of doubt on the integrity of all these meetings and all these people including myself, State Representatives Steve Carter, Regina Barrow and Bodi White, Metro Council Member Scott Wilson, our Mayor, several well known attorneys, and board members from BREC, well that’s just not right.  All of these people carry the credentials of high integrity, and to try to make people think anything less of them is truly a disappointment.

How did Representative White’s interest in the property become known?

During these meetings Bodi disclosed that he had an interest in one of the properties BREC was considering, and the sign was even up there on the property stating that he was the listing agent.  To me it was never a secret so why does it become news now?  From the time that it was listed with the name on the sign saying who the listing agent was, to this day, it’s never been a secret.  It’s never been hidden.  There never was any question about whether Bodi would divest himself of this interest for this to move forward, and it is my understanding that he did.  Everything was open and above board.  If not, I don’t think BREC and their attorneys would have allowed anything to move forward.  I also don’t believe that Bodi would have wanted anything to get in the way of new parks for Central.  He’s been chairman of CAYL for 20 years or more and he always has the kids’ interests at heart.  So it is my belief that he would not have done anything to jeopardize making the recreation facilities in Central better.  I’m disappointed that it appears that the integrity of everyone at these meetings has been called into question.  I don’t think any type of collusion could possibly go on with that many people involved with the common goal of improving the recreation facilities in Central.

Can you comment on where you see yourself and Representative White on the issue of Integrity and Ethics as elected officials?

I got into politics with high integrity, and I will leave politics with that same level of integrity.  When my Grandkids ask about me I don’t want anyone to be able to tell them that I was less than fair and honest.  I’ve known Bodi and his family for as long as I’ve been in Central, which has been since 1965.  The integrity is there in the family and I haven’t seen anything that would lead me to believe that he would put self interest ahead of the people that he’s representing.

What would you do if you suspected unethical activities from one of our elected officials?

If I saw something that raised any question of unethical or illegal activities, I’d report this to the proper authorities such as the DA, Ethics Administration, and the Inspector General and request an investigation.

1. Nancy Blount

September 30, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I feel that the information presented in this interview with Representative Clif Richardson has helped to clear the air on this matter regarding the purchase of land for the BREC Sports Park. This article along with the “Just the Facts” article below about Representative Bodi White and the BREC Sports Park have helped to put this matter in the proper perspective. Two very informative articles!

2. Maria L

September 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Agree with you 100% Nancy. This, along with the other article and letter from Mr. Rogillio correcting all the erroneous and misleading information in Mr. Jenkin’s newspaper, have helped clear the air. Though I never believed the info printed in Mr. Jenkin’s paper in the first place.

September 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I sure hope you two are kidding. This makes it more suspect. Unless people cant add 2 plus 2.

4. Ray

October 1, 2011 at 9:18 am

Dave can you please, when it is convenient, post the video of the Republican Woman’s Forum. I know you are really busy, but I would like to see Mr White and Mr Mannino speak with my own eyes. Thank you!

5. Sally

October 2, 2011 at 6:54 am

Ray, it was amazing to see how professional every candidate conducted themselves except Mike Mannino. His immediate factless slander left the majority in the room appalled. He only had personal opinion and negative campaign tactics. Central people like legal, hard facts and he has produced none. Central people do think for themselves and they do recognize when someone is trying to control their vote by false accusations and negative campaign tactics. It’s obvious who this community is supporting. And Mikes strategy hasn’t helped him at all.

6. Ray

October 2, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thanks for referencing the meeting and your observation of it Sally.

7. Ryan

October 2, 2011 at 10:52 am

Sally, could you please tell me what statements were made by Mr.Mannino that were factless slander etc. I wasnt there to hear the speech

8. Sally

October 2, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Don’t want to misquote him. Read his posted remarks on the article in this paper about BREC park for one. If you can see video, view it and make your own conclusions.

October 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Ryan. Everything is fact, backed up by documents. They just dont like the facts. Ive seen people beleive a heck of a lot more out here with much less documentation.

10. Sally

October 3, 2011 at 6:42 am

Mr. Mannino, the public would love to see documents of the facts you are accusing Rep. White of, but none have been produced. Again, your facts have been heresay, while Rep. White has done nothing but help build the city of Central to what it is today. The majority of our residence love our city and are very, very pleased with where it is going. The rest of District 6 and their elected officials, who have endorsed Rep. White, are looking at all of his hard work and accomplishments and see that he is proven for the job. Everything you promise to do, he has accomplished in his district so I’m glad to see that you agree with him on these important issues.
    I mean no disrespect, but if you are copy cating his issues and his party, what’s the point in opposing him? Thank you though for your zeal and I wish you and yours well!

11. Central Resident

October 3, 2011 at 9:23 am

Are you calling Rep. Richardson untruthful by stating his comments ‘it makes it more suspect’? Then you bash these 2 posters because, I guess, they don’t agree with your ‘facts’? If I missed something, like the evidence being presented, sorry for the comment. I need for you to state if you think Rep. Richardson is less than honest.

October 3, 2011 at 10:13 am

Oh Sally you are so wrong. I would never copy cat someone who not only voted for several taxes and fees, but sponsored them. I would also not even consider voting for a pay raise like he did. In fact, I think they are paid too much as the intent of public service is to be a citizen volunteer. As far as proof, I have presented it including signed property transfers. That you choose not to believe it is you decision and I wont begrudge you that right. Lets just say there is not one word of hearsay in my claims, everything is backed by a piece of paper. If you choose to believe that someone, out of the goodness of their heart, is going to let you have 1/3 interest in a lucrative land deal and you put up nothing, that is your choice. But I need to find a few friends like that. My opponents voting record of sponsoring bills that just out of chance, benefit his business partners and he receives nothing for it, is a little much for anyone to swallow. But again, thats your option.