Editorial/Op

Elect People Who Listen

By  | 
CENTRAL FIRST BLUEb largerIt’s campaign time! Three more months of yard signs and campaigning. As you listen to what candidates say and write, remember that there are only two things that matter: Who they are, and whether they listen.
WHO THEY ARE: The past is the best indicator of the future. Want to know what a candidate will do if elected? Look at what they did prior to asking for your vote.
The incumbents will always have a tough time convincing me that their next four years would be different than their last four, but if they have done a good job in office they have a ready-made platform for re-election.
For all candidates, promises are easy to make, especially when they don’t have to be kept. If a promise is not consistent with the candidate’s prior actions, it’s probably just an election gimmick. 
DO THEY LISTEN: We elect people to represent us in making decisions on behalf of the entire community. Want to know if a candidate will actually represent you if elected? Ask yourself whether that candidate listens well enough to even know the needs and desires of those he/she wants to represent.
I have heard elected officials say that they were elected to make all the decisions FOR everyone else. I disagree. I believe they are elected to make decisions ON BEHALF OF everyone else, not FOR them. To me, FOR means someone has decided what you want and need, and ON BEHALF OF means they have listened and are trying to make decisions that reflect the will of the community.
The only way to know the needs, desires, and dreams of those you are asking to vote for you, is to care enough to ask, and then actually listen. Mia and I are almost through knocking on every one of the 1,650 voting doors in District 3, and if you were not home, we will be back. Some days the going is slow because so many people want to share their concerns and ideas. Those slow days are the BEST days, because those are the times when we get to listen.
As our November election day approaches, certainly consider the platforms of the candidates. Also recognize that even elected officials who listen to the community will never make everyone happy. However, take note of those who you believe have listened, and will listen, before making their decisions ON BEHALF OF the people of Central.  Elect People Who Listen.

1 Comment

  1. Richard Torregano

    October 25, 2020 at 5:18 pm

    How about this editorial

    Global Warming
    No matter what the US does or doesn’t do, it will have little or no effect on global warming. The United States represents less than 5% of the global population. What effect will the other 95% of the world’s growing population have on global warming? Alternatively, the US uses about 14% of the total of 15.1 billion tons of fossil fuel. China uses about 31% of the total global amount. About 15% of US total commercial AC energy generation is from nuclear power. So how will 14% of total fossil fuel usage make a difference when the other 86% will continue to use fossil fuel in transportation vehicles and due to the price of fossil fuel and lack of new technology for creating commercial AC power? If the US reduces its dependence on fossil fuel, the price of fossil fuel is sure to drop, which will only reinforce the economic utility for other countries to use fossil fuel. Conversely, fossil fuel reduction can only be realistically applied to commercial AC power production. Transportation fuel will still require fossil fuel and trying to convert all cars and trucks to electric or hydrogen gas will be problematic for the suppliers of battery/hydrogen fuel, the suppliers of electric/hydrogen cars & trucks, and the suppliers of commercial electrical power. The US does not have the reliability nor the capacity due to the age of the electrical grid to supply recharging of electric vehicles on a daily basis. Nor does the US have the manufacturing capability of supplying hydrogen gas. Therefore, the US must take the lead and invest and develop its nuclear and fusion power technology within the US and show its feasibility of such technology to other countries. The US could then export this technology, knowledge, experience, workforce, and monetary funding to help other countries use this technology thereby reducing the need for fossil fuels globally. The US must rapidly develop fission and fusion power for commercial AC power. But the US should not put all its eggs in one basket in regards to transportation fuel, so the US should have electric, hydrogen, gasoline, diesel, propane/methane gas vehicles (trucks & cars) because of the energy diversity and it would be incapable for any energy manufacturer to manipulate these normally inelastic commodities of transportation fuels.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *